Weak body, could use some more kick...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeRLynch

Reaction score
I've just pulled my first sample of a 1 week old American Wheat. It was about 1.04 OG and is now at 1.012. The hop character is there, but the body is weak, and the low OG doesn't give it much kick. I'm about to transfer to the secondary, is there any way to up the body and abv a bit? Do I need to re-ferment? Here's the recipe:

1 can (3.3lbs) Briess Light Malt Extract
1 can (3.3lbs) Coopers Wheat Malt Extract
1.5 oz Hallertauer hops
.5 oz of Saaz hops
Coopers ale yeast

1 oz Hallertauer @ 60 min
.5 oz Hallertauer @30 min
.5 oz Saaz @5 min

Yield: 5 gal

I was thinking of adding some honey to the secondary, and possibly dry hopping. Would that improve the character?

thanks guys
mike

I think those #'s look pretty good, although you could kick up the OG a little the next time you brew it if you wanted. I wouldn't make any adjustments to this beer...you'll most likely affect it in a negative manner and honestly, it'll probably be a fine beer the way it is. A wheat should be a light-ish refreshing summer beer.

Not to mention, it can be difficult at this point to judge how it's going to taste when it's fully conditioned and carb'ed up.

I agree with Baron. This is about what a wheat should be, and being a little lighter isn't a bad thing, especially now that it's warming up.

Definately don't dry hop, you don't want that hop aroma in a wheat, and adding honey would restart fermentation, and again add an undesired flavor in a wheat (I don't really like adding honey to anything, gives an odd cidery flavor).

Also, for a wheat, you don't really need a secondary. Bottle after about two weeks and you will be good.

Awesome guys, thanks. First time jitters I guess ;)

BTW, I just got back from my buddies place and helped him brew up his first beer, a Scottish Ale. Despite some setbacks (two boilovers and some temperature issues) I think it'll turn out to be decent. He's definitely hooked though. His roomate was watching us work and asking a boatload of questions, and now he's going to the LHBS to get his stuff. Another one hooked!

mike

Some age will help, too. I've noticed before that my first impression (after carbed) of a beer that is "too light" in body has changed after the beer ages a few more weeks. Either that or I get used to it!!

My Hobgoblin clone seemed quite light on the pallet when I was taking early samples, once in the bottle for two weeks though it was spot on!

I've stopped paying attention to how my samples taste now, as long as there are no sinister flavours there i'm happy. The beer you come out with after it's properly matured will always pleasently suprise you. :D

Back