Summer Beer Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gtn80

Reaction score
Hey guys, taking my first shot at recipe formulation from the ground up. I want to make a light, but substantive summer beer. Here's what I have so far:

60% Pilsner Malt
20% Rye Malt
20% Wheat Malt

I will probably use Cascade as the bittering hop, some Amarillo at flameout and to dry hop.

My question is, what do you think of the grain bill, and what yeast would you use for this?

Thanks in advance

I think the rye will overpower this. I would go with a the pilsner and the wheat. My first thought would be to use an American Hefeweizen yeast, but I'm not sure how that would work with the Amarillo flavor and aroma. Might want to go with something clean like White Labs WLP001 or even a Kolsch yeast instead.

I think the rye will overpower this. I would go with a the pilsner and the wheat. My first thought would be to use an American Hefeweizen yeast, but I'm not sure how that would work with the Amarillo flavor and aroma. Might want to go with something clean like White Labs WLP001 or even a Kolsch yeast instead.

+1 to overpowered by rye, but thats not necessarily a bad thing, and the wLP001. The recipe doesn't sound too far off from Bear Republic's Hop Rod Rye. It'll def give you something nice, dry n crisp.

If you are shooting for a smaller beer (~4%), adding the rye is a good move. I use 20% rye malt in Bent Rod Rye and it's a great hot weather beer.

I'd probably drop the wheat entirely, and go with S05. It's the same as 1056 and 001 but cheaper b/c it's dry.

Thanks for the input so far. I don't want to necessarily overpower the thing, but I definitely like the ruggedness of the rye, so I might dial it back to 15% on the rye and 15% wheat, I like the yeast suggestions. I will brew it up in the next couple weeks and let you guys know how it turns out.

Latest posts

Back