metal autosiphon so I can whirl?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beer:30

Chief Bottle Washer
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just upgraded my AG system to 10 gal. I have always used pellet hops in my kettle with a bazooka screen, and from there directly into a CFC. But I have found in my first 10 gal batch I had a lot of wort loss because the screen got WAY overloaded. I did a search and the whirl method and siphon seems to work very well for some. I guess heres my question: For those of you that do whirl at the end of the boil, and use a siphon into your CFC, are you using a metal autosiphon? Or are you doing this differently?

I have a copper dip-tube that I run down into my kettle. It has no screen or filter on it and it works great. It runs diagonally to the opposite side of the kettle from where you can see it entering in the picture.

5408-counterflowchiller_small.jpg

So this "dip tube" is just a copper tube that you connect your hi-temp hose to, to start a siphon? How do you keep it at the proper height from the bottom? It looks from the picture that from the CFC you go through a household strainer and into your primary bucket, is that correct? Sorry for all the noob questions!

No worries! The dip tube is just a piece of 1/2 copper that I put a T on at the bottom (just so it won't roll). I don't bother keeping it off the bottom. By using the whirlpool method and by using a full irish moss tablet (instead of the 1/2 that is recommended) I get a nice cone of hops and break in the center. The syphon just picks up from around the outside. The strainer on the primary acts both for aeration and also to catch the occasional bit of hops that gets through.

I think I'm on board with this method. I am not too keen on any of the hopstoppers, and the hop bags just seem wrong (let those hops run free!). Thanks alot for the info, I do believe I will be using this method for the next brew as soon as I can sneak it in.

There is a barb on the exit of the chiller. I just lightly attach a short piece of sanitized tubing and use a suck-start. As soon as I see beer in the high temp hose at the top I pop off the short piece - gravity does the rest. I've found this method works great and there's no need for a pump AND it's completely sanitary.

Latest posts

Back