First time cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrlarson11

Reaction score
I am creating my first (2)-gallon batch of hard cider.

Ingredients include:
2gal- TreeTop apple juice
44oz(5.5 cups)- wildflower honey
5 grams- Nottingham dry yeast
DOES THIS ALL SOUND BALANCED?

After adding 5g of yeast, should I be seeing any immediate reaction? If not, whats wrong?

I am letting it ferment for two weeks, then once I transfer to bottling container I was thinking of adding liquid cinnamon extract. Would this taste good, or ruin it? How much of it should I add for a two gallon batch?

Cheers!

I can't help you with the recipe but I can reassure you that there's no immediate reaction with the yeast. Usually you'll start seeing bubbles forming after a day or so :)

I am creating my first (2)-gallon batch of hard cider.

Ingredients include:
2gal- TreeTop apple juice
44oz(5.5 cups)- wildflower honey
5 grams- Nottingham dry yeast
DOES THIS ALL SOUND BALANCED?

After adding 5g of yeast, should I be seeing any immediate reaction? If not, whats wrong?

I am letting it ferment for two weeks, then once I transfer to bottling container I was thinking of adding liquid cinnamon extract. Would this taste good, or ruin it? How much of it should I add for a two gallon batch?

Cheers!

As to your yeast question, read this:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/fermentation-can-take-24-72-hrs-show-visible-signs-43635/

Waiting X amount of time doesn't mean it's done. Get a hydrometer, that's the only sure way to tell if your fermentation is done or not.

As for adding cinnamon extract, some might like it; I'd just add a 4" cinnamon stick & let it soak for a few days or a week. You'll have to taste it to see just when your desired flavour profile has been reached, but it's cheap & easy, easier to control too.
Regards, GF.

Back