What grain mill to buy??????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kkocher13

Reaction score
I've started to brew enough that I think its time to start crushing my own grains. I've had problems with LHBS and some of the crushes that I've gotten so its time to take out the problem and grind the grains myself. Also the cost savings is a major draw as well. This past weekend I went through 120 lbs of grain. So my question is, does anybody have any recommendations about what grain mill to purchase based on my usage. I brew once a month and use anywhere between 80 to 120 lbs of grain. Depending on how ambitious I get. While I'd like to stay as affordable as possible, I don't want to buy something and then need to trade up in a couple of months. I don't mind paying for quality. Any thoughts????????? :rockin:

A buddy and I brew together and we've started partigyling. So we're averaging about 25-35 lbs a batch and we try to do 4 brews in a day. So far its been working well.

Depends on what the budget is to an extent, and if you want something ready out of the box. Many members use the Barley Crusher, although there has been the occaisional problem with one. I think the Crankandstein and Monster Mills are slightly more robust builds, but they require a bit of fabrication to connect to a hopper and collection container to get them up and running.

I actually bought a Monster Mill a couple months ago but still haven't gotten around to set it all up. The unit is built like a tank though. You will need a quality 1/2" drill or a motorized pully system to spin the Crankandstein or the Monster Mill. They require some torque.

I've got a 3/4 horse craftsman electric motor of an air compressor. Do you think that would get the job done?

I can't compare it with other models since I haven't used them, but I just got the 2-roller monster mill as a Christmas present, and it is amazing. I hand-cranked 8 lbs. of grain in about 2 minutes...it's a beast!

Monster Mill provides hoppers and bases (like the ones on the Barley Crusher) now. I love mine, but have no experience with any other mill.

Back