Laying bottles down

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Catfish

Art by David Shrigley
Reaction score
I know common knowledge is to store your bottles up right. Is there any problem with storing them on their side? The only problem I can predict is the sediment collecting on the side of the bottle as opposed to the bottom. Other than that I think it'll be fine.

If it has a real cork, lay it on its side, in a wine-rack. When you are ready to serve it, carry it gently, so that the yeast sediment is not shaken. I believe bottles with caps should be left vertical especially those that have oxygen barriers
Here is an excerpt from the Belgian beer experts at Vanburg & DeWulf on this subject.
Ideally, the bottles should be stored upright.
1) This keeps the yeast packed nicely on the bottom; otherwise they will be stirred up when retrieved from the cellar, thus necessitating extra settling time before consumption.
2) Wine is stored on its side mainly to keep the cork swollen with moisture and retaining its seal; not so much to keep chunks of cork from dropping into the wine. Our corks are extra wide to begin with since we bottle carbonated beverages.
3) Theoretically, a beer will oxidize faster on its side due to the increased surface area exposed to air in the bottle (no bottling equipment is perfect at removing all oxygen).

Wild

Back