How much beer gas / Nitro do you go through?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

discooby

Reaction score
I have a new set up for stouts: an 80cf nitrogen gas feed serving on 30psi w/a micromatic reg; I precarb on co2. I’m starting my second 5 gal keg and have already used up 500 psi (on 1st keg); I have an inline shut and no leaks (i.e., I can go three days w/out a drop in pressure). Is this normal?

Pressure in your tank does not indicate how full it is. You need to go by weight. The pressure is a correlation to temperature. Until you are almost empty

I have a 20 lbs tank using a two tap set-up and I typically get it filled about once a year.

Actually on a Nitrogen tank you have to go by pressure, Nitrogen is not liquified and unless you have a very accurate scale you arent going to notice a weight difference.

I would say that a 500 psi drop per keg on an 80cf tank is within the relm of normal. My 40cf Nitrogen tank starting pressure is around 2700 psi, and I can usually get right at 3 kegs with it.

That’s good to hear… I was wondering what was going on. I got short-changed on my fill with 1700psi and at this rate I should get 4 kegs out of it.

I suspect a 5lb co2 tank filled w/ beer gas would only last 1 keg; I’m glad I went the 80cf tank… though now a gas blender is on the list!

Thanks again zazbnf for your help :mug:

Back