Re using Gallon glass jugs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewBoy19

Reaction score
I searched the forums but I couldn't find this exact question/answer.

My father in law buys a lot of beer from FOUNDERS here in Grand Rapids, MI.
He usually buys gallon glass jugs with screw on caps. Since I am going over there today, I was wondering if I could use those to "bottle" my beer in. I know I could use them as mini fermenters with rubber stoppers or use them as yeast starters. But I really just want to know if I can bottle my beer in it and use the screw tops again. I haven't seen what kind of caps they have, so I'm not sure if their all metal or if they have one of those cardboard type inserts in the bottom of the cap. And If they do could I just remove it and use them still?

If you read what Rukus and I posted in this thread, then you will understand why it's not a good idea. There's a big difference between carbonated beer and carbonating beer, as well as using one as a fermenter and using one to try to contain the explosive gasses of carbonation.

Back