True brew IPA NO CARB

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JKHomebrew

Reaction score
Guys,

I made a True Brew IPA kit and by being holiday season I left it in the primary for about 2.5 weeks, I bottled it about a week ago and opened a bottle on Christmas and no carb at all, I primed with the priming sugar in the kit which haas worked great in the past, I know it might be too early to be worried but I thought I would drop a line to see if someone thought I might have screwed up somewhere, I did use a starter Wyeast Amereican and it rocked for a while.

Please give me your thoughts

You didn't screw anything up, you are just trying to drink it too soon. Generally it takes about 3 weeks at 70° for a beer to carb. Sometimes it takes a little less or more but 21 days is about average.

Thanks for the reply, I get so many differant input on how long it takes and where to put the beer, should I leave it in a cool dry 65 to 70 spot and then cool before I drink or do I age for about a week and then put in fridge to age, I woul dlove some input on this

Try to keep it at 70° if you can; 65° will take even longer to carb.

I like to age the beer at room temperature. It will continue to age in cooler temperatures but it takes longer. After it's aged, I put it in the basement for storage and only keep a 6er in the fridge. Our basement stays about 55° - 60° most of the year so it works really well for storage.

It may well be very drinkable as soon as it is carbonated, however, make sure to keep a few back so you can try them at 6 - 8 weeks so you can enjoy the flavor at it's peak.

Thanks for the info, sometimes it is hard to let it sit, the last couple of batches were good to drink after 12 days or so, but they are all differant.

Again thanks

Ok the guy I brew with took some IPA home and tryed it again yesturday and still nothing. the funny thing is we bottled a Octoberfest 2 days later and it is fine, I have read that some beers take longer depending on the style, both these beers happen to be True Brew Kits. the only diff was that with the IPA I used a wyeast starter and the octoberfest he used dry yeast from kit.

Question at this point is should I move it to a warmer location in the house?

I think that 3 weeks is really the time you need to wait for a well carb'd beer. I put mine in a warm utility room and it carbs nicely in that time. It's perfectly fine to drink it earlier, but if you're not waiting the three weeks, it's going to be flat and green.

Also, I've got a True Brew IPA kit kegged right now. I added an add'l ounce of finishing hops to that kit and dry hopped, and it tastes GREAT. I waited five weeks from brewing to drinking though. You might want to take some more time with this brew because I think higher OG beers take more time.

OK!!!!

21 days at 70+ degrees

It is just funny that all our other beers we have done have been ready to drink sooner, We will just put this one aside and wait the 21 days.

I will update at that point

Thanks

It is just funny that all our other beers we have done have been ready to drink sooner, We will just put this one aside and wait the 21 days.
Nothing out of the ordinary there. 21 days is an average. Think of your beers like children, if you have any. Each one is different and needs its own time to reach certain milestones.

Just because your first walked at 8 months doesn't mean there's something wrong with the second if he walks at 14 months.:D

Guys here is the update

Well on Weds it was 21 days in the bottle and I put one in the fridge and sure enough it was carbed just fine, I am not sure it is aged just to the right point or not but carbed it was

I have to say I am not too happy with the result of this True Brew IPA Kit
it does not have the true IPA taste, but as you guys say it might take a little more time, I will try one in another week,

Thanks again for the help

Back