another propane manifold question.... Really?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cobolstinks

Reaction score
I'm building a wallace stand with 3x bg-14 burners. I'm going hp propane for now and will go from black pipe --> needle valve --> hose of some type --> bg14 burner. I'm trying to find what hose to use, the 3/8 hd hot water heater hoses are only rated to ~30k btu (bg-14 is ~220k btu) so i don't think i want to go that route.

two questions here.
1. Is 1/4" ID black pipe big enough? or should i got with 1/2"?
2. Would this work for going from the needle valve to burner? My needle valves are 1/4" fpt on the end the hose needs to hook up to.

http://www.fleetfarm.com/catalog/pr...-in-propane-replacement-barbecue-hose-f273716

I have to believe those flex hoses are being rated for natural gas or 11" WC propane use, because the orifice on the high-pressure BG-14 burner is freakishly small compared to the inside of those flex hoses...

Cheers!

im going 1/2 black pipe, valve with 3/8 male flare. Then 3/8 soft copper flared on each end to run from valve to burner orifice

Yeap i was thinking about hard plumbing with 3/8 OD copper. I have about 20 feet laying around after i chopped up my IC to build a CFC. I just can see a major headache coming if i went that route. With my luck i wouldn't get things to line up.

Think im gonna go with these guys: http://www.agrisupply.com/high-pressure-hose-assembly-mpt-ffl/p/36108/

I was just hoping to be able to get this stuff locally. Paying shipping on these parts adds up quick!

check out the camping department at Mill's Fleet Farm. They have quite a supply of LP hoses. At least they do down here in Milwaukee.

thanks for the tip ill check out fleet farm. I priced out agrisupply and they want $13 to ship $19 in cables.... so the search continues for a local source.

1/4" BIP is plenty - 1/2" is generally way overkill but most of the LHS's don't carry 1/4". As for hoses - plumbingsupply.com has gas flex connectors as well that work beautiful and come in a handful of length and connector configurations.

here is the manifold I just built for my wallace..not installed yet

photo.jpg

SanMarzano, where did you get your needle valves from? Did you use a reducer to go from the black pipe to the needle valves? Thanks.

Amazing how many times the same question comes up
1/4" Hose is plenty from the regulator on. The hose coming from your propane tank to your regulator is only 1/4". Take one of your orifices out of a burner and look at it. Now tell me you nee 1/2" line to feed it.

Increasing the pipe size will only lower the pressure.

We went to this design awhile back and actually got better performance results due to the use of needle valves and their proximity to the burner.

P1040543.jpg

P1040544.jpg
P1040545.jpg
P1040546.jpg

Amazing how many times the same question comes up
1/4" Hose is plenty from the regulator on. The hose coming from your propane tank to your regulator is only 1/4". Take one of your orifices out of a burner and look at it. Now tell me you nee 1/2" line to feed it.

Increasing the pipe size will only lower the pressure.

We went to this design awhile back and actually got better performance results due to the use of needle valves and their proximity to the burner.

This question was part of one of my post about my brutus build a few minutes ago... Thanks for the pictures... can I bother you for a parts breakdown from the "T" to the orifice? Just want to make sure I can make one trip! Also, where did you get these parts? Would Lowes or HD have them?

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome! Thanks for the list! I got my Shields yesterday and my burners and pumps are on the way!

Site links are bookmarked!

Cheers!

HD and Lowes do not carry them.

Parts list:
going in reverse direction from burner orifice to propane/NG supply
3/8" Flare Adapter to 1/4" NPT Part Number 26200x6 (took forever to find this part)
Needle Valve This can be found many places online
1/4" Black Tee

1/4" CGA 350 PSI Hose with swivel fittings ([email protected]) (we make them to order)
1/4" NPT to Flare Part Number 348-06-04

Wow, I've spent HOURS looking for info like this - thanks. I'll get in contact with you once I know what length hose I need, are you still making them to order?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back