I could use a little bit of help: Steeping grains for extract IPA...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dfc

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
What I'm looking to accomplish: A session IPA that is light in color because I'm going to add food coloring to it for the upcoming football season. I have chosen to use the English IPA guidelines since the OG calls for 1.050-1.075 (I'm keeping it on the lower end for more of a session beer for football games). It should end up around 1.052.

What I need help with: Suggestions for appropriate steeping grains to add a nice mouth feel.

What I've got so far: 3lbs. Extra Light DME (full boil), 3lbs. Extra Light DME (10 min addition), 2.5oz Cascade (full boil), 1oz Cascade (10 min addition), 1oz Cascade (dry hop).

Obviously I'm doing extract and I'll be doing about a 3.2 gal partial boil and topping off to 5 gallons. Do you guys have any ideas as to steeping grains I should use to improve mouth feel without compromising color too much? Anything that would add a traditional English IPA flavor to my recipe?

This is one of my first recipe designs so thanks in advance. BTW, I know I'm using U.S. Hops for an English IPA. Any and all suggestions are welcome. Even suggestions to go eff myself.

Disclaimer: I posted the same thing in Recipes/Ingredients. Mods if you hate me for this I assure you I will self depreciate...

That's actually an American IPA recipe, with the (American) extract, and American hops. I'd steep maybe -5 pound carapils and .5 pound 20L if I wanted some steeping grains.

If you want an English IPA, you could use the same grains and change the hopping to EKG/Fuggles.

Thanks, Yooper! I just picked the English IPA guidelines in beersmith and with exception to color this fit the guidelines. That's why I was saying English IPA.

Back