Quick fermentation question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TRedVR6

Reaction score
I just brewed my second batch of beer this past week. I used a kit from Homebrew Heaven called Kangaroo's Tail Ale.

I used the dry yeast that came with the kit and sprinkled it on top of the wort per the instructions. I found that fermentation had started the next morning and the airlock was bubbling rapidly (1-2 bubbles per second). After 2 days, fermentation stopped completely. I thought it was kind of strange that it stopped completely and decided to transfer to my secondary fermenter. The kit included a powdered enzyme that is added to the secondary to allow a lower ending gravity. An hour or two after adding the enzyme and transfering to my secondary, fermentation began again and has not slowed in the past 2 days. I would estimate that the airlock bubbles once every couple of seconds.

My starting S.G. was 1.068 and the S.G. when I transfered to my secondary was 1.040. The recipe said the starting S.G. should be 1.045-1.056 and the ending S.G. should be 1.010-1.015.

My question is - when fermentation slows to one bubble per minute, should I transfer the beer to another glass carboy or should I just leave it alone until it reaches the ending gravity?

Either way will be ok. You can transfer to another carboy to get your beer off the trub or just leave it a couple of weeks and bottle 'er up. 1.040 sounds way too high to have it stop the first time. I'd say all the commotion you made to the wort from transferring to the secondary woke up the beasties to get back to work.

happy brewing, loop

just wondering, what was the enzyme you added?

i'd let it sit until it's done fementing, then bottle. probably do more harm transfering it again and exposing it to O2, than letting it sit on some trub in the bottom of the carboy.
i let mine sit in the primary until i don't see activity for over a couple minutes (usually 2-5 days), then rack to secondary for about 10 days (all for an average strength ale).

good luck and welcome aboard!

The enzyme is amylase enzyme and it is supposed to aid in converting grain starches into malt sugars. It came in the ingredient kit, but you can buy it separately here

http://www.homebrewheaven.com/

I did not use it in the first batch of beer that I brewed so I don't know if it works or not.

Back