CHeck out this recipe... I have a question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LovetheHops

Reaction score
So i am racking the following to the secondary tomorrow.

5 Gallon batch
7lb Munich Extract
Steeped Grains:
3/4lb Dextrine
1/2lb Victory
1/4 Dark Munich
Hops:
1oz cluster @ boil
1oz Tettnang @ 30 min
Yeast:
European Ale Yeast

My OG was only 1.036 @ 75 degrees.

Is there anything I can do to increase the potential alcohol a little? Could I add some for of fermentable sugar to the secondary? Or should I just enjoy what may be a tastey high 3%'s brew?

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

I have never used extract, but 7 lbs of extract and an OG of 1.036? That seems really low.

Keg2- Oktoberfest (On tap)
Keg3- Christmas Spice
Keg4- Fire In The Hole
Keg5- AIR
Keg6- AIR
Keg7- AIR
Keg8- AIR

It is possible i measured incorrectly. But beercalculus.com estimates an OG of 1.04 so I am close.

LovetheHops - Sounds like you did not get a full bend if you did a partial boil and then topped off with water. Most likely you got some layering of the mix. Don't worry about right now, the yeast will mix it all up and find all the sugars to make into beer.

It is possible i measured incorrectly. But beercalculus.com estimates an OG of 1.04 so I am close.

Beercalc actually gives 1.058 and abv of 5.3. I think you put the wrong type of extract in the formula.

Your wort was probably mixed poorly for the reading. No problem it will be good.

+2 on not mixing well enough. Being off even a few points when using extract is pretty tough if you end up with the correct final volume. Extract always gives you 100% of its potential extract, since of course it is, extract.

Keg2- Oktoberfest (On tap)
Keg3- Christmas Spice
Keg4- Fire In The Hole
Keg5- AIR
Keg6- AIR
Keg7- AIR
Keg8- AIR

Beercalc actually gives 1.058 and abv of 5.3. I think you put the wrong type of extract in the formula.

Your wort was probably mixed poorly for the reading. No problem it will be good.

Interesting. I got 1.04 by modifying the PPG for the steeped grain.

You guys a most likely correct about taking my OG reading of the top of a poorly mixed wort.

I'll leave it be, thanks for the advise.

1lbs extract in 1 gallon water=1.036 (1x36/1)so you have 7lbs in 5gallons=1.050(7x36/5) Yor OG is at least 1.050 plus another 5-7 points for the grain so 1.055-1.057.

My OG was only 1.036 @ 75 degrees.

Is there anything I can do to increase the potential alcohol a little? Could I add some for of fermentable sugar to the secondary? Or should I just enjoy what may be a tastey high 3%'s brew?

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

Even if all these guys are wrong (and I ain't putting any money on that ;)) just drink it with some good Scotch as a chaser. :mug:

if you still want to boast the abv, I'd add extra fermentables to the primary. I usually use just plain dextrose, but I know that there are a few places (Austin HomeBrew for one) that sell a special mix of sugars that boast abv without changing taste.

Back