Corny Kegs: o-rings and cleaning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stever

Reaction score
So I scored six pin lock kegs last night and I was wondering are the o-rings the same as on a ball lock? Also can you use Oxiclean instead of PBW? The ones I have are still full of soda so I would imagine that the insides are not real dirty.

Not sure about the o-rings. I think the one for the lid is the same but the others are not... Agian, I'm not sure, all I have is ball lock.

I don't use the PBW, all I use is Oxiclean.

I don't believe they are the same. Most suppliers have different kits for pin vs. ball. I only have ball kegs, so I haven't looked into it deeply.

When i pick up old soda kegs, i just replace all the o-rings. Anything that isn't stainless that has come into contact with soda is worth replacing and its cheap.

Here is one example of a replacement kit. I'm sure there are many out there. Its the "Used Keg Seal Kit"

It looks like the rings are the same. I cannot find any site that references a set of rings for the pin lock vs the ball lock. I think I shall just order some ring kits and see what happens. Thanks for the advice and links.

The O rings you need are cheap and available at McMaster Carr.
There is a small difference between the pin and ball locks.

http://www.mcmaster.com/
ball lock post: 9452K23
pin lock post: 9452K24
Lid for either: 9452K218
dip tube for either: 9452K172

Alemental said:
The O rings you need are cheap and available at McMaster Carr.
There is a small difference between the pin and ball locks.

http://www.mcmaster.com/
ball lock post: 9452K23
pin lock post: 9452K24
Lid for either: 9452K218
dip tube for either: 9452K172

Looks like the o-ring for the post needs to be 1/16" bigger. That leads me to think the ball lock posts rubber should work since the difference is so small. Thanks for the info Alemental.

Sorry I didn't see this sooner. The #111 ones will work "sorta" on the pinlock posts. I've had 2 out of 5 liquid disconnects leak on me though if you give it a slight wiggle because of that slightly lesser diameter. I later bought a bunch of silicone #112 rings and you can feel that nice resistence as the disconnect slides on. I'm much more confident I'm not losing any gas now.

thanks Bobby, I was wondering about that, since you are stretching that rign out it will reduce the width a little. Mcmaster sells those in packs of 100, I wonder if I can find them locally.

fork it, I just ordered all the rings from Mcmaster, it will be cheaper than ordering 6 ring kits and hoping some don't link. I guess I will have a few extra 112 o-rings now.

Thanks for all the help.

I want to buy some silicone O rings for all my kegs... I cannot find a Dash 112 in the silicone, only the Dash 111 for the ball lock, will this work?? Here is the part number...

Lid 9396K926
Ball Lock 9396K24
Post 9396K74

Latest posts

Back