Critique/tips for new AG system

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChadChaney

Reaction score
So after brewing w extract for awhile and getting some good beers and a few great beers, I decided to move to AG brewing. This is the system I have ordered and is on the way. 1 10 gallon brew kettle with thermometer and spigot, 1 10 gallon Igloo Cooler for mash tun with false bottom, braid, spigot and sparge arm, 1 10 gallon Igloo cooler for sparging, planning on using a bucket (wrapped in towels) for now to collect wort from sparge. Obviously this will be a gravity fed system. Anything I am missing or need to consider when brewing with this type of rig, oh, I will be brewing 5 gallon batches.

Also, i have read about different types of rests during the mash, I was planning on a single infusion mash, is this going to cause any problems? thanks for all the assistance in advance, and hope everyone has a happy holiday weekend!

Read up on batch sparging. Just use your cooler/mash tun for the mash. Drain into boiling pot when conversion is done then divide your batch sparge water in half for two separate sparges. I usually use around 185 degree water the first time and the mash will end up around 169. Then the second half of the sparge water will cool down to an appropriate temp by the time the second drain is done. There are so many methods, but this works great for me most of the time. Have fun and dont worry

Yeah- you have what is fundamentally the same type of rig I use, and it will work great. The advice given by "Ryno" is fine. I do things a little differently (e.g., I only do a single batch sparge) but so does every home brewer. The beer will be good.

Back