Hops for a German Bock?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Earl_Grey

Reaction score
I have an extract kit which calls for pellet hops with 2min left in the boil. Then with 4 days to go in the secondary, add a hop bag for dry hopping. Will this make it really hoppy? I thought that Bocks were not supposed to be hoppy but malty.

I wouldn't dry hop a bock, that's for sure. If by secondary they mean the lagering phase, I DEFINITELY would not dry hop at the end of lagering. Real bad time to possibly contaminate a beer you've dedicated weeks to.

I have an extract kit which calls for pellet hops with 2min left in the boil. Then with 4 days to go in the secondary, add a hop bag for dry hopping. Will this make it really hoppy? I thought that Bocks were not supposed to be hoppy but malty.

They're not. Those are poor instructions for brewing a bock. The dry hop will not add to the bitterness but it's not supposed to be there for this type of beer. A bittering addition and a possible small middle addition are plenty.

I wouldn't dry hop this style, Bocks should have virtually no hop aroma

Latest posts

Back