Priming sugar calculator V extract kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Knecht_Rupprecht

Reaction score
So I am brewing an extract hefeweisen, and am about 4 days from bottling. Using several online brewing calculators I am sing told to use between 7.5 and 8 oz of priming sugar. My kit only came with 5. Additionally most threads and opinion in these board says between 2/3-3/4 of a cup. Any idea where the discrepancy is? If it helps the beer is currently between 62-65 degrees and just shy of 5 gallons.

5ozs maybe a standard amount of sugar they put in their kits. You can use table sugar, you'll have to make sure that is figured into your calculations. Make sure you know how much beer you have in the bottling bucket before you boil up the sugar. Sometimes you get way less beer and you end up over carbonating.

I think 2/3 - 3/4 cup of sugar is just a rule of thumb some brewers use to carbonate. Your right in using a priming sugar calculator, you get the carbonation you want.

Agree with Kwingert. My first 2 brews always seemed low on carbonation until I found the priming sugar calculator. It accounts for temperature, carbonation level and the sugar type.

Ever since using it, i've had great carbonation now.

I'd check the calculations again for your priming sugar amount. Using 7.5 - 8 oz. seems quite high to me. Carbonating to 2.5 volumes appears to take 4.6 oz. per my calculations if the beer reached 75 deg. before bottling. Are you certain that you aren't calculating DME weight?

I used the 5 oz my brewers best kit came with and my Witbier seems over carbed to me. I didn't know about the online calculator until after I bottled thankfully because it also said about 7.5oz for me. :confused:

Please please do not use that much sugar for 5 gallons unless you are kegging and even then you are going to have nothing but foam out of your tap. If you are bottling you will very likely have a messy and dangerous couple cases of bombs.

7.5oz is 3.7 volumes of CO2 for 5 gallons which is crazy high even for a hefeweizen (style guideline is 2.5-2.9 vols) 8oz is pushing 4 vols.

At 4.5 gallons which is where you may be with your "just shy of 5 gallons" 7.5 oz of sugar is 4 vols.

Kingfish said:
Please please do not use that much sugar for 5 gallons unless you are kegging and even then you are going to have nothing but foam out of your tap. If you are bottling you will very likely have a messy and dangerous couple cases of bombs.

7.5oz is 3.7 volumes of CO2 for 5 gallons which is crazy high even for a hefeweizen (style guideline is 2.5-2.9 vols) 8oz is pushing 4 vols.

At 4.5 gallons which is where you may be with your "just shy of 5 gallons" 7.5 oz of sugar is 4 vols.

Kingfish and others, every calculator and book I have found listed the style calling for 3.6-4.5. I would also note that my batch is right at 5 gallons, but that includes some trub and at least one more gravity reading I'll need to take so I don't want to say it will be a full 5.

Those of you who have made weissbier to style, what volume have you carved to? Also what can a bottle reasonably withstand? I don't want to shoot for 4 if 3.5 is as high as a bottle can stand. I also want this to be relatively authentic in style.

Kingfish and others, every calculator and book I have found listed the style calling for 3.6-4.5. I would also note that my batch is right at 5 gallons, but that includes some trub and at least one more gravity reading I'll need to take so I don't want to say it will be a full 5.

Those of you who have made weissbier to style, what volume have you carved to? Also what can a bottle reasonably withstand? I don't want to shoot for 4 if 3.5 is as high as a bottle can stand. I also want this to be relatively authentic in style.

you're right. every calc I've EVER seen lists between 7-8 ounces of priming sugar for Hefe's. I do about 7 ounces and it's just about perfect. None of them foam and they are CRISP and clean

70918157.png

Back