Why did my beer dry out so much?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zach1288

Reaction score
I brewed an IPA 3 weeks ago and I took a sample while dry hopping today and it finished at 1.010. I mashed at 153F and the OG was 1.064.

I brewed an IPA 3 weeks ago and I took a sample while dry hopping today and it finished at 1.010. I mashed at 153F and the OG was 1.064.

1.010 is a typical ending FG for IPAs. That's where I normally want most of mine to finish up. Starting at 1.064, it would be reasonable for most beers to finish at 1.010.

Which yeast strain did you use, and what were the ingredients? Some ingredients are less fermentable than others.

1.010 is fine. If it is too dry for your taste, then next time mash higher or add some more caramel malt.

Wait it out and see how you like it.

Like everyone else, my reaction is what's the problem; 1.010 is excellent for an IPA.

But, I agree, with mashing at 153 F you would normally expect to finish higher (depending on yeast and any simple sugars used).

You might want to check your thermometer. A 5 degree error can make a lot of difference.

1.010 is a typical ending FG for IPAs. That's where I normally want most of mine to finish up. Starting at 1.064, it would be reasonable for most beers to finish at 1.010.

Which yeast strain did you use, and what were the ingredients? Some ingredients are less fermentable than others.

It was a two hearted clone that I found on this website. I used 1056.

Latest posts

Back