sanitizer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bustagb

Reaction score
I am currently in the process of brewing a belgian dubbel. I put the grains in and have the water at 150 degrees and realized I used up all my sanitizer from my last batch. It is late and nothing is open. Is there anything I could substitute for the one step sanitizer at this time now that I already started. Please let me know recommendations! Thanks

You can use bleach, unscented. 1 tsp per gallon for sanitizing. It does have to be rinsed, though. Don't use it on metal, though

People used bleach as a homebrewing sanitizer for years. That was the old school way.

It is just chlorinated water. I wouldn't drink the solution, but as long as you rinse you won"t have any problems.

Think if I was in a pinch would use just a very small amount of bleach in some water. I've seen the dilution ratios out there but really feel if you start with well cleaned equipment it shouldn't take but a few milliliters of bleach in a gallon of water to sanitize the equipment and not have to rinse it.

You can use bleach, unscented. 1 tsp per gallon for sanitizing. It does have to be rinsed, though. Don't use it on metal, though

Bleach in the concentration mentioned above is just fine. In fact, the Health Dept. requires us to use a bleach based sanitizer on all food prep surfaces in our commercial kitchen.

You actually can use this solution on stainless steel without any problems. We do it all the time.

Back