Hydrometer sank

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaintedbreadBrew

Reaction score
I'm sure there's a thread on this already but searched and no dice. Anyway...

I brewed a batch of Oktoberfest, took a sample of the wort into a test tube, dropped the hydrometer in and the bad boy sunk to the bottom. I ignored this and continued with the cooling, pitching, etc. fermentation appeared to go very well and properly active. I bottle in 2 days.

Any ideas as to why the hydro sank? Any other way of testing ABV now?

Cheers

I have found if there is not enough of the solution in the meniscus, the hydrometer will sink and land on the bottom. Maybe put the hydrometer in first and then fill it slowly till it floats.

^^ ya my friend suggests to try that... Will do for next time. But post fermentation, any way to measure ABV?

^^ ya my friend suggests to try that... Will do for next time. But post fermentation, any way to measure ABV?

If it is a kit, the numbers in the directions should be pretty accurate. Other than that, there is no way to tell for sure without the OG other than running the numbers through some brewing software.

To brew an octoberfest takes 3 or more weeks in the fermenter, a rest period, then 6 months of lagering, then bottles. You bottled that thing 7 months early.

bribo179 said:
To brew an octoberfest takes 3 or more weeks in the fermenter, a rest period, then 6 months of lagering, then bottles. You bottled that thing 7 months early.

Post this again in a week. I haven't bottled yet

Back