Who are you?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
todd_k said:
What's with all the Libertarians? You would think more would be elected based on this small (very small) sampling.

Libertarians (like myself) are boarderline anarchists so we dont organize very well. IMHO we are too much of idealists and not enuff of realists and want everything fixed now! . . . from what I have seen Id say We (as a group) dont seem to want to accept small changes in the right direction over a period of time.

I've tried to get involved in the local party here on a few levels and everytime I try it appears to me like it's an exercize in hearding cats

No offense Buford, Hope ya get in and get some stuff fixed . . . and hurry up about it :p

I'm sympathetic towards Libertarians, and agree with a lot of stuff about small government (although a lot of libertarians tend to go a little too extreme, in my opinion). But, I'm too pragmatic a person to vote Libertarian.

Besides, wouldn't you think there might be a correlation between homebrewing and Libertarian sentiments? ;)

homebrewer_99 said:
b. I think we should press for a constitutional amendment that states a politician is not allowed to speak unless they are hooked up to a polygraph and must answer every question the public asks without starting off with phrases like “…the committee…” . “Excuse me, sir? A simple “yes” or “no” answer will suffice”. “Now, did you take any bribes?” Can you explain to the public how you turned your annual salary of $180,000.00 into $27 million over the past 2 years?”

c. Oil is not a fossil fuel. On the microscopic level there are no fossils in it. Oil is a substance the Earth produces naturally. It has always been there. It will always be there. There never has been or ever will be a fuel shortage unless it’s man-made (not refining it).

d. I believe aliens exist and Osama is dead.

e. I think the American education sucks and does not prepare anyone for life. Everyone should be taught how to shop, cook, learn how banking works (checking/savings accounts, credit cards, etc.), how to change a tire and do oil changes, oh, yeah, and home brew.

f. College and health care should be free. Our tax $$$ goes to too many other places outside of this country. Let’s feed and shelter ours first. Politicians have no right to spend our money in ways the public does not want it spent…they only get away with it because they have us believing we gave them that right. We did not.

g. I think there are way too many greedy people in the world…OK, in the US…and most of them are in DC. It’s easy to pass a law you don’t have to follow.

h. I’m for televised public executions. Jail/prison is not a deterrent. Gun control only regulates legal owners. That is wrong. Everyone, except felons, should be able to carry a gun. Not knowing if someone is strapped themselves is a crime deterrent.

i. Food is no longer food. All we are eating is additives (sugar, salt, preservatives) with an essence of the actual product we are paying for. Too many chemicals are sold mainstream that are causing a majority of all the illnesses in the world…which should entitle you to free health care. I think there’s nothing wrong with cloned meat as long as the politicians eat it for 10 years prior to releasing it to the public…just to make sure it’s safe.

…end of chapter 1…

RIGHT ON!!!!!!!!

Ditto 99, except on

'c' I am big on bio desil, ethonol, and hydrogen becuase I want to watch the oil producers eat oil and then see how much **** they can stir up

'd' I want to see both

'f' natural selection is kinda fun to watch and too many stupid people are in college for me to pay for them, but lets keep what we got $$ wise "in the family". I'm big on taking care of your own first and the rest of the world later

1. How old are you?
30 & 1/2
2. Marital status
Engaged
3. Do you have kids?
Not yet
4. Where do you live?
A couple miles away from the Johnson Space Center outside of Houston
5. What is your occupation?
Bartender at a pub! Jealous?
6. Do you smoke?
Only second hand
7. What way do you "lean" politically?
very libertarian: do whatever you want but leave me alone, and the government sucks btw
8. Are you religious?
Not at all. The closest thing I have to religion is my daily yoga workouts.
9. What do you drive?
1997 Ford F-150
10. What would you consider your personality? (outgoing, shy, bubbly, etc.)
Somewhat reserved, but more outgoing than I used to be. That's what happens when you work in a bar for years and years.
11. Do you believe in global warming?
I believe that the earth is getting a little warmer, but not that it's a major disaster in the making. I also believe we'll be able to overcome any problems with new technology, not by regressing to a more primitive state of existence.
12. Tell us something about yourself that we'd never guess.
I was a vegetarian for more than twelve years, but now I'm back on the meat teat.

the_bird said:
Besides, wouldn't you think there might be a correlation between homebrewing and Libertarian sentiments? ;)

Well, I know that one of the past Libertarian national party chairs, a UVA professor, is an all-grain brewer. Never had a chance to try any of his beers but he's up here in Richmond fairly often since the state party chairman lives here (and the state chair is my campaign manager... I really need to get some stuff to him campaign related...)

1. How old are you?
2. Marital status
Married, second one
3. Do you have kids?
2 daughters, 11 and 12. They live in MN with their mother. 1 step-son, age 6. He lives about 30 minutes away from us so we get him every other weekend. He tries my patience dearly. :)
4. Where do you live?
Originally WI, but the military has moved me to 4 different countries and 6 different states. Currently in Hampton, VA.
Air Force meterologist. Currently schooling to be an auto mechanic in the after-life.
6. Do you smoke?
Nope.
Politics and all political parties are for the birds, IMHO. I hate it.
8. Are you religious?
Grew up Roman Catholic, went to catholic school up to 8th grade. That said, I do not remember the last time I was in a church for other than a funeral. I would definitely say I am spiritual, but that is only because I worship Jack Black.
9. What do you drive?
2006 "Jeep Green" Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
I would say shy until I get to know you, then I become a loud mouthed prick. People have called me stuck-up before because I'll never be the first to introduce myself or talk to you. I am also probably the most impatient person you'll ever meet.
I certainly do. And we are in trouble.
I grew up on a dairy farm and I despise MILK. I'll have it with cereal, or cook with it, but put a glass of it in front of me and YUCK. Disgusting. We throw away more milk in our house than gets drunk. I routinely throw 3/4 of a gallon down the drain.

Pumbaa said:
Ditto 99, except on

'c' I am big on bio desil, ethonol, and hydrogen becuase I want to watch the oil producers eat oil and then see how much **** they can stir up

'd' I want to see both

'f' natural selection is kinda fun to watch and too many stupid people are in college for me to pay for them, but lets keep what we got $$ wise "in the family". I'm big on taking care of your own first and the rest of the world later
I know a little about bio-fuel also...I'm in corn country...:D

Bio-fuel is corn beer at 10% alcohol and mixed with some fuel to screw up the taste. It is very expensive to make. As for the E85...how many cars are there that can run it?

Unfortunately, we'll never be free of foreign oil. Incidently, I read the REAL reason we took Saddam out was because he wanted to trade oil for Euros. We (the US) made it a universal ruling that all oil be traded in American $$$ dollars. One of our biggest worries is that CHina will want to turn theirs in. That would bankrupt this country is less than 1 minute.

Brewiz...thanks.;)

the_bird said:
I'm sympathetic towards Libertarians, and agree with a lot of stuff about small government (although a lot of libertarians tend to go a little too extreme, in my opinion). But, I'm too pragmatic a person to vote Libertarian.

If everyone who was too "pragmatic" to vote Libertarian would just do it, they'd have a chance. Anyway, one single vote will never make a difference, so why not vote your conscience? Hehe, not to turn this into anything TOO political, mind you. :cross:

And yes, I think libertarianism and the D.I.Y. sentiment go together like chocolate and peanut butter.

1. How old are you? 25
2. Marital status. Single
3. Do you have kids? Not yet
4. Where do you live? Buffalo, NY
5. What is your occupation? Athletic Trainer
6. Do you smoke? Unfortunately
7. What way do you "lean" politically? Don't do politics, but I feel people should be able to make their own decisions. Whatever makes you Happy is what I say.
8. Are you religious? Don't like people telling what to think and believe, I'll figure it out for myself thank you very much.
9. What do you drive? 2001 Pontiac Grand Am (Damn GMs)
10. What would you consider your personality? (outgoing, shy, bubbly, etc.) I tend to keep to myself until I am around people that I know I can trust.
11. Do you believe in global warming? All I know is that I live in Buffalo, and we had no snow until after the new year. There's just something not right about that, and I think we are partially to blame.
12. Tell us something about yourself that we'd never guess. I really enjoy movies about the end of the world. There is always something about them that I feel is very believable.

1. How old are you?
I'll be 34, two weeks from today.
2. Marital status
Divorced, and involved with an amazing woman.
3. Do you have kids?
Three. My oldest is 6, and I have 20-month old twins, one boy, one girl.
4. Where do you live?
North Chicago Burbs, or as I like to call it, the DMZ between IL and WI.
Newspaper reporter, aspiring fiction writer, thinking about scrapping my day job and studying to become a cop.
6. Do you smoke?
I have in the past, but never regularly. I've been known to enjoy a good cigar from time to time.
Socially, just left of center, but not by much. Libertarian ideals appeal greatly to me, I just wish the party was stronger.
8. Are you religious?
About beer, yes. :) I wouldn't call myself very religious, but I believe in God, Jesus and non-denominational Christianity.
9. What do you drive?
1996 Dodge Stratus, 120,000 miles on it, and paid for. The price is right.
In high school I was so introverted that people thought I was a snob because I wouldn't talk to them. I still am to a degree, but working in journalism has pretty much forced me out of my shell. It still takes me a bit to warm up, especially in a crowd or around new people, but when I do, watch out. I highly believe in the power of laughter as therapy, and if I'm around, there will be laughter.
I do, but I'm not running around screaming like chicken little. I'm an avid outdoorsman, so the environment is ultra important to me.
Unlike the rest of the freaks around here, I only have two nipples. ;)

1. How old are you? 31
2. Marital status: Married to a babe
3. Do you have kids? 1 4 year old boy
4. Where do you live? Look under my avatar
5. What is your occupation? USAF Technical Sergeant/Chief, Weather Station Operations, Tinker AFB, OK
6. Do you smoke? Cigars.....quit cigarettes 3 mos ago.
7. What way do you "lean" politically? All over the place, but registered Democrat.
8. Are you religious? No
9. What do you drive? 1998 Dodge Ram 2500 4X4. Both economical and practical. :D
10. What would you consider your personality? Reserved until I get to know you. I like to think I have a decent sense of humor.
11. Do you believe in global warming? Yes.
12. Tell us something about yourself that we'd never guess. I'm hung like a bull hamster. I've never seen E.T. I can touch my nose with my tongue.

Dude said:
What does one do in this occupation? (other than research the weather, smartasses)

Do you work at the university?

I work on campus as part of the Space Science and Engineering Center at UW.

I work on the next generation GOES satellites. I'm not an engineer so I don't do the building or physical design part of satellites, but our group works on figuring out what parts of the visible through infrared the satellites need to measure and develop algorithms using the satellite data to improve short-term forecasting. The group I'm working on is developing nowcasting products for aviation and severe weather forecasting. I like it because it combines aspects of forecasting and satellites. I liked forecasting, but hated my company and missed the research work I did as an undergrad, so I went back to school and got my MS for this job. Living close to home is a huge plus too, we get to see my friends and family much more often.

desertBrew said:

Never would have guessed right? I just get so sick of hearing about someone falling through the ice when it was open water 3 days ago. Let's see, the lake was open Monday, I think I'll go walk across today. Some people just don't think. Then 15 rescue people have to go in after him.

1. How old are you? 23
2. Marital status: No
3. Do you have kids? No
4. Where do you live? Menomonee F**kin Falls Baby!
5. What is your occupation? Student, Liquor Store Occupant
6. Do you smoke? Started to smoke a pipe the day I turned 18, now only once in a while.
7. What way do you "lean" politically? Another Libertarian here.
8. Are you religious? Raised Roman Catholic, now still believe but don't go to church.
9. What do you drive? 1997 Dodge Intrepid, I don't want a car that I can't sit in comfortably in the back seat.
10. What would you consider your personality? Fairly out going, I really get going when I have a friend along.
11. Do you believe in global warming? Is it warming yes. Is it all people's fault no.
12. Tell us something about yourself that we'd never guess. People call me crazy, but for the wrong reasons. When I meet people they like me for a while, then they dislike like me, then they figure out what I have been saying all along and bam they like me again. And I suck at spelling.

Had to happen.

1. How old are you? A policeman knew my name
2. Marital status My heart is like a broken cup
3. Do you have kids? How can I measure up to anyone now
4. Where do you live? Where love falls from the trees
5. What is your occupation? Eleven hours in the Tin Pan God, there's got to be another way
6. Do you smoke? I spit out like a sewer hole
7. What way do you "lean" politically? I remember throwin' punches around And preachin' from my chair
8. Are you religious? God, there's got to be another way
9. What do you drive? I took the tube back out of town
10. What would you consider your personality? (outgoing, shy, bubbly, etc.) I felt a little like a dying clown With a streak of Rin Tin Tin
11. Do you believe in global warming? I staggered back to the underground And the breeze blew back my hair
12. Tell us something about yourself that we'd never guess. I woke up in a Soho doorway

Maybe the real one later

olllllo said:
Had to happen.

1. How old are you? A policeman knew my name
2. Marital status My heart is like a broken cup
3. Do you have kids? How can I measure up to anyone now
4. Where do you live? Where love falls from the trees
5. What is your occupation? Eleven hours in the Tin Pan God, there's got to be another way
6. Do you smoke? I spit out like a sewer hole
7. What way do you "lean" politically? I remember throwin' punches around And preachin' from my chair
8. Are you religious? God, there's got to be another way
9. What do you drive? I took the tube back out of town
10. What would you consider your personality? (outgoing, shy, bubbly, etc.) I felt a little like a dying clown With a streak of Rin Tin Tin
11. Do you believe in global warming? I staggered back to the underground And the breeze blew back my hair
12. Tell us something about yourself that we'd never guess. I woke up in a Soho doorway

Maybe the real one later

WTF? :drunk: :cross: :tank:

WhoAreYouLPlarger.jpg

http://www.lyrics007.com/The Who Lyrics/Who Are You Lyrics.html

1. How old are you?
2. Marital status
Married 17 years
3. Do you have kids?
Nope
4. Where do you live?
Seattle WA
Facilities Manager
6. Do you smoke?
A cigar on occasion
A card carrying member of the Apathetic Party
8. Are you religious?
Not a church going Christian but I am a believer.
9. What do you drive?
SWMBO mostly drives it but we have a 2000 Mazda Miata. The color is "Evolution Orange". To me it looks like the color of beer! Great car for our yearly road trips. I don't think I could own a car that the top wouldn't come off.
Tend to be an observer in social situations where I don't know a lot of people. Once I know you though, I'm pretty outgoing.
Yes
Tried my hand at stand up comedy when I was in my early 20's. played a few clubs in the Portland OR area (where I grew up.) Did this for about a year but it was just too stressful.

1. How old are you? Turned 41 last December, and I'm still bitter you guys didn't wish me a Happy Birthday. ;):D

2. Marital status Married (v2.0) 4 years coming in April. We've been together over 8

3. Do you have kids? 2. My 10 year old who we have every other week, and my soon to be 3 year old who we have all the time. And I mean ALL the time. He's exhausting... :drunk:

4. Where do you live? Decatur, Illinois. Originally from St. Louis Missouri

5. What is your occupation? Commercial Production Director for a 5 station radio group in Springfield Illinois

6. Do you smoke? Yes, but working on No and not having a whole lot of fun with it...

7. What way do you "lean" politically? Bah, spent too many years in Talk Radio so it's not a major in my life. I lean conservative but in the end I vote for the least offensive crook. But I do vote.

8. Are you religious? Roman Catholic. I go, but am as attached to it as I am my politics (see above ^)

9. What do you drive? 1995 Ford Thunderbird, it's paid for AND Ford replaced the original factory defect engine in it in 2001, so it's mine for the long haul

10. What would you consider your personality? (outgoing, shy, bubbly, etc.) Friendly, outgoing, good natured... stress kills ya know?

11. Do you believe in global warming? Yes the globe is warming. Are we causing it? Marginally at best. I think the big meteorite we can't see is more of a threat to the planet than we are.

12. Tell us something about yourself that we'd never guess. Even though I work in radio I can be pretty shy. Until I have a couple of beers of course :D

Ize

Ize... I'm originally from Central Illinois. Grew up in Mackinaw, attended high school in Normal and moved there my sophomore year.

You're on the radio down there?

ill.literate said:
Ize... I'm originally from Central Illinois. Grew up in Mackinaw, attended high school in Normal and moved there my sophomore year.

You're on the radio down there?

Yep. Saga Communications. WDBR/WYMG/ABE 93-9/COOL 101.9/WTAX

http://www.wymg.com/jock_home.php?jock_id=62

Been here going on 3 years.

rdwj Quote:
Happy Belated Birthday Ize!!

LOL, Thanks man! :p

Ize

very cool!

I wanted to go into radio, but my mass communications prof in college said, "don't bother, it's a nasty business." LOL

ill.literate said:
very cool!

I wanted to go into radio, but my mass communications prof in college said, "don't bother, it's a nasty business." LOL

Smart man. And unless you spend over 10 years doing it for a living, don't expect to make a lot of $$$... The phrase "overworked and underpaid" I think was specifically created for the broadcast industry.

Ize

1. How old are you? 29
2. Marital status Married
3. Do you have kids? (2)
4. Where do you live? Fort Wayne, IN
5. What is your occupation? Airline Pilot
6. Do you smoke? No
7. What way do you "lean" politically? Republican
8. Are you religious? Yes
9. What do you drive? Saturn
10. What would you consider your personality? (outgoing, shy, bubbly, etc.) Outgoing
11. Do you believe in global warming? Yes
12. Tell us something about yourself that we'd never guess. Born and raised on a small dairy farm in a "village" of about 50 poeple in MI.

Ize said:
Smart man. And unless you spend over 10 years doing it for a living, don't expect to make a lot of $$$... The phrase "overworked and underpaid" I think was specifically created for the broadcast industry.

Ize

Newspaper reporters aren't too far behind :)

Alright I'll bite;

1.Age...48(it sucks,thoughts of mortality kicking in)
2.Married?...Twice married and divorced,5yrs w/SWMBO live-in GF
3.Kids?...20yo daughter in college(full ride ROTC scholarship:rockin: ),2 14yr yo's.Raised em myself.
4.Location...Alaska for 36 yrs.Currently SE near Ketchikan(west coast POW island)
5.Job...Log scaler over 20yrs
6.Smoker...30 yrs cigs,2 yrs since quit
7.Polical leaning...right wing
8.Religious...not!
9.Driving...00'GMC Sierra 4x4 and 00' 26foot Hewescraft AlaskanSearunner(boat,my other obsession besides brewing)
10.Personality...sociable when neccessary,but somewhat reclusive.SWMBO is my best friend and just like me.
11.Global warming...Even with my right-wing bent,I acknowledge it's existence and believe it's man caused to a slight degree.
12.Secret...I used to be an alcoholic!:drunk:

Cheers:mug:

Ize said:
1. 5. What is your occupation? Commercial Production Director for a 5 station radio group in Springfield Illinois

You know Mark Belling? he used to work in radio down there from what I have heard . . . I listen to him almost every day

Been here going on 3 years.

BAH
probably not then I shold have kept reading

Pumbaa said:
You know Mark Belling? he used to work in radio down there from what I have heard . . . I listen to him almost every day

BAH
probably not then I shold have kept reading

No prob, he may have gone by a different name here. Don't recognize it tho.

Ize

1. How old are you?

2. Marital status
Married 15 years

3. Do you have kids?
Two boys 10 and 8

4. Where do you live?
Eldorado Township, WI. the closest "real" town is Fond du Lac

Electrician

6. Do you smoke?
Nope, Never have

I'm pretty far to the right on most issues. All my in-laws are Democrats, and pretty severe ones at that, so I'm the black sheep in the family. One even worked for several campaigns and now is a union rep. Holidayget-togethers are just lovely for me:cross:

8. Are you religious?
I go to church, but I'm not a Bible Thumper.

9. What do you drive?
Lesse, I have a 96 Chevy Pickup, but my work beater is a 92 Ford Tempo

Dunno, I'm not shy, but I'm not outgoing either.

I heard a weatherman say it best: the earth naturally has warming and cooling periods. Right now we are definitely in a warming period, but there is no way to be really sure how much this current trend is helped along by the "Global Warming stuff"

I'm REALLY afraind of mice and, especially, bats.

Here are the topics:

1. How old are you?36
2. Marital status: married
3. Do you have kids?2- a girl 3 and a son 18 months
4. Where do you live?Greenville, NC which is in the middle of BFE
5. What is your occupation?Sales Manager for an Industrial Parts distributor
6. Do you smoke?Nope
7. What way do you "lean" politically? Right, but am sick of Bush
8. Are you religious?Yes
9. What do you drive?2005 ext cab dodge ram
10. What would you consider your personality? (outgoing, shy, bubbly, etc.)Outgoing and very opinionated.....or thats what SWMBO says
11. Do you believe in global warming?not really
12. Tell us something about yourself that we'd never guess.am an Eagle Scout and

Brewpilot said:
1. How old are you? 29
2. Marital status Married
3. Do you have kids? (2)
4. Where do you live? Fort Wayne, IN
5. What is your occupation? Airline Pilot
6. Do you smoke? No
7. What way do you "lean" politically? Republican
8. Are you religious? Yes
9. What do you drive? Saturn
10. What would you consider your personality? (outgoing, shy, bubbly, etc.) Outgoing
11. Do you believe in global warming? Yes
12. Tell us something about yourself that we'd never guess. Born and raised on a small dairy farm in a "village" of about 50 poeple in MI.

What part of MI? I grew up in Mason, which is 15 miles south of Lansing.

1. How old are you?35
2. Marital status: married
3. Do you have kids?One 6 week old daughter
4. Where do you live?Chester, VA. Originally from MI.
5. What is your occupation?Factory Grunt. Going to school for Accounting and want to start my own ariel photography business.
6. Do you smoke?Nope
7. What way do you "lean" politically? Card carrying Republican
8. Are you religious?We occasionally attend Catholic mass.
9. What do you drive?1994 Dodge Shadow, 2001 Hyundai Sante Fe, 2003 Dodge Grand Caravan
10. What would you consider your personality? (outgoing, shy, bubbly, etc.)I'm not afraid to talk to anybody, but I keep my opinions to myself until I get to know ya.
11. Do you believe in global warming?Don't care-I'll be dead before it's a real problem.
12. Tell us something about yourself that we'd never guess.I'm too inappropriate with people I've just met, like asking my wife's friends if they are into "swapping." I'm also a mean drunk.

Grew up in Mt Pleasant, went to school there, lived in Gaylord, Ann Arbor and Ypsilanti (freight flying days) Now I spend 4 days a week "deep in the heart of Texas!" ha ha

Brewpilot

Back