what do properly milled grains look like?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JLem

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone had any pics of properly milled grains. I'm a tad concerned that mine are not milled enough (I get them done at my LHBS).

If no pics, any advice on how to tell?

Thanks

all_grain_04-crushed_grain.jpg

Not my photo..but these look about right.

So I recently purchased my first All Grain kit, and preparing to brew it later this week. But based on these pictures, I think it is under crushed. I would guess that 70% of the grains look intact. Question is... what can I do at this point? It would be difficult to try and crush them again with a rolling pin... that's a lot of grain! Any other suggestions?

Put some in a baggie, place it on a hard surface and roll over them with a rolling pin/wine bottle, or get a crusher. I used a rolling pin over most of the grain I bought pre-crushed. BC-FTW!

So I recently purchased my first All Grain kit, and preparing to brew it later this week. But based on these pictures, I think it is under crushed. I would guess that 70% of the grains look intact. Question is... what can I do at this point? It would be difficult to try and crush them again with a rolling pin... that's a lot of grain! Any other suggestions?

70% grains fully intact? I would return it to your LHBS and have them recrush or issue a refund. OR...brew with it..get terrible efficiency through no fault of your own and never buy from that brewshop again.

Then again, if you dont have those options the rolling pin option will work with some effort.

Back