Is there a difference between beer line tubing and siphon tubing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard-SSV

Reaction score
I know that there is beer line specific tubing like Bev-Seal Ultra, etc. , but as far as just the regular clear beer line tubing, is it the same pvc tubing that a LHBS would sell you for siphoning?

I was under the impression that beer line tubing was thicker to handle the psi of a pressurized draft system, but the LHBS that I just called tells me that the tubing they sell for siphoning and the tubing they sell for draft beer lines is one in the same. What's the story here?

Avoid them for tubing then. It's NOT the same stuff, not even close. Never mind that beer line is 3/16" ID (thick wall) tubing that's made to NOT give off any flavors to a beer running through it. If you look up for off-flavor threads, especially plastic flavors for beer on tap, you'll see that the majority of them are caused by using the wrong tubing.

IMO/IME, get the tubing you need for siphoning the beer between vessels, but dispense with Bevlex tubing.

IF you wanted to, you could use Bevlex to siphon with (if the ID matches your cane or system) but I would NOT use the generic nylon tubing to dispense beer.

Back