Plz comment on my chance of infection???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bferullo

Reaction score
I clogged my airlock twice on this current batch before I was able to get a blow off tube set up. The first one clogged probably for about 48 hours before I checked. Then It was only about 12 hours before it clogged the 2nd time. Each time I removed the airlock with sanitized hands, cleaned the arean with star san, cleaned the pieces with star san and replaced. Now I have a blow off tube set up and my fermentation seems stuck. Although, perhaps I have so much Krauzen that I can't tell if there is activity.

So, with that mouthfull being said, what are peoples opinions on if my beer is going to be infected. I know no one can say for sure, but just trying to set my self up for possible dissappointment if that's the case.

Probably close to a zero percent chance. You'd have a greater likelihood of introducing an infection due to how well you sanitized your bucket and everything when you initially dumped it in than you do from changing the airlock. During active fermentation there is a lot of CO2 being given off and expelling gas OUT of the fermenter (thus the need for a blowoff) so it's nearly impossible for anything to find its way into that tiny hole against the pressure and down into your beer. You'll be fine. :mug:

thanks....i figured..but just really needed to hear from outside fellow brewers. I saw some similar posts, but just was looking for encouragement. This batch was meant for the county fair, so i didn't really want to see it go bad.

Probably close to a zero percent chance. You'd have a greater likelihood of introducing an infection due to how well you sanitized your bucket and everything when you initially dumped it in than you do from changing the airlock. During active fermentation there is a lot of CO2 being given off and expelling gas OUT of the fermenter (thus the need for a blowoff) so it's nearly impossible for anything to find its way into that tiny hole against the pressure and down into your beer. You'll be fine. :mug:

+1 on this. Great answer...

with a clogged airlock ,comes krauzen caked up on my better bottle. I don't have any bubbling in the blow off tube container. Should I be worried about stuck fermentation? Its only been 4.5 days.

No. A beer will often ferment out in just a day or two, especially in warmer temps. Give it a full week and take a hydrometer reading if you're concerned, but I bet you'll find it fermented perfectly fine when you do.

I usually replace the blowoff tube with an airlock after day 5. By then, my FG is about 80-90% to where it should be. Check your gravity when you want and record it. It will help you gauge how your other fermentations with other malt bills/yeast are doing for your next batches.

Back