Last two beers dis not ferment out

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kluxen

Reaction score
Could it be the hot temp lately? I don't have a controlled environment to ferment in. Can I dose them with another batch of yeast? Both stalled around half way to desired fg.

Could it be the hot temp lately? I don't have a controlled environment to ferment in. Can I dose them with another batch of yeast? Both stalled around half way to desired fg.

Heat would make them ferment more strongly. How are you measuring gravity? All-grain or extract? Recipes? Starter or no?

Need MOAR info

All grain, with starters. Beers are black ipa and cream ale. Both with 1056. Both had vigorous fermentations initially. I recently switched to a spectrometer from a hydrometer. I calibrated it. Could it be off? Never had a problem before.

All grain, with starters. Beers are black ipa and cream ale. Both with 1056. Both had vigorous fermentations initially. I recently switched to a spectrometer from a hydrometer. I calibrated it. Could it be off? Never had a problem before.

A refractometer? Are you correcting for alcohol in the beer?

I'm a little confused, because my refractometer reads both brix and grav. My og was 1.049 and my fg is 1.024 for the cream ale. That is not fully fermented. But if I go by brix and run it through the calculator you provided I am money. What am I missing.

You go by brix and correct it to specific gravity with alcohol present. It measures refracted light so it doesn't matter what the scale is named it still needs to be corrected for alcohol.

The initial reading for Brix is correct. The SG next to it is a correct calculation. Once fermentation begins and alcohol is present, the SG readout is useless. So is the Brix reading unless you convert. You must know the original Brix reading. When you take a new reading you must then compensate for the presence of alcohol using a chart like the one mentioned above.

Example: Say your original Brix reading was 15. That's a SG of 1.062. Let's say your final reading is 8 Brix. If you don't convert, 8 Brix = 1.032. You would think your beer has stalled and must suck! But if you start with 15 Brix and finish with 8 Brix your finished gravity is actually 1.013...

Thanks for the clarification. It tastes like beer, you know, with out co2. Stream stream cream ale is carbing up in the kegerator as we speak.

Back