A personal first, I'm so proud

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

God Emporer BillyBrew

Reaction score
I had my first bottle bomb yesterday. When I got home, I went to get one of my Indomitable IPA's to put in the fridge. I noticed a strong hop smell and the bottom of my box was wet. Sure enough, one of my bottles had freakin' shattered! It was a Stone IPA bottle. Luckily, most of them were in Fischers pop top bottles, because I don't have room in the fridge for all of them. I opened them and recapped them real quick to let some pressure off.

I told my wife we're going to have to do some drinking this weekend. I've got about 12-15 of them. :drunk: I might have to invite a friend over.

It was back before I really knew how to read my hydro, but it had a potential abv of 9 and ended up at 3. So I don't think I bottled too soon, I must have mismeasured the DME.

Congratulations!! I have to store all my beer in a concrete shed under my house just cos ONCE 1 blew up in a cupboard and the wife wasn't happy about bits of glass embedded in the doors! safer on concrete apparantly, for me anyway

Bitchin!!! I have yet to have this happen, but two weeks ago I was scraping Imperial Stout off the ceiling with a trowel:ban:

Carnage is always good.

It got even better. I took some to a friends house and dropped one about 6 inches onto his garage floor. sounded like you had shot a .22 in there. Luckily, my pants kept the shards out of my legs! Also, lucky it was his garage.

i haven't had this fire works show happen to me but a friend told me that he has primed per bottle instead of batch priming, he was using a 2 liter flip-top bottle. in the middle of the night he said he heard what sounded like a shotgun in the kitchen. he went in there and the bottom of the bottle had blown off and shot the 2 liter bottle across the house like a rocket. i laughed so friggin hard my sides hurt for like 2 days. he said there was beer from one end of the house to the other. i asked him if he learned a lesson he said yeah, no more bottle priming!!!! :rockin:

I had a few explode in the garrage from the first batch I did.
Got my bottle opener and sneaked some pressure out of each very carefully and recrimped them down. Probly saved a few. Never know.

I've never had a bomb yet, but I did accidentally overcarb a brew. I made a half batch, but used the full amount of priming sugar. I thought I was going to have a mess, but nothing happened except over-carbonated beer. That brew is long gone so no more worries.

Back