Stir Degasing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rustang64

Reaction score
I havent done any wine as of yet however I had a thought while browsing through the posts as far as degasing goes. We use magnetic stirrers in the lab to stir water samples etc.. and for someone serious enough for that kind of investment (+/- $175), that might be an interesting way to degas. It would allow you to avoid oxidizing by being able to leave the airlock on the carboy while stirring.

...Just a thought.

I thought about that once too, but it didn't seem worth the hassle. You would need to build some support around the plate (although I'm sure some books would do), and I'm not sure you would get enough action out of a small stirrer, but it might work.

In the lab we use tabletops or plywood that we cut a square hole in and set it up on stacked 2x4 pieces to the correct height on top of the counters. We use them for 5gal water samples and they seem to do just fine stirring those up...

Back