How big a beer necessary to add bourbon to?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jack_a_roe

Reaction score
So I came up way short with this porter I was planning on adding bourbon to at bottling and was wondering if its too small to do so. I could always just add less than previously planned. My og was 1.066instead of the intended 1.078.

Id add bourbon even if it was OG 1.03! Bourbon flavor is great.

I'm soaking some oak chips in bourbon right now for a 1.073 KBS clone that ended up being way lower than I wanted, but i don't see any reason why it still won't taste great

I added oak chips and bourbon to a Kentucky common with an OG of 1.046 and it was fantastic. I think I added 1/2 cup per gallon.

Granted I love drinking bourbon straight...I thought the beer was well balanced for my liking

Some flavor profiles just taste great with bourbon. Even if the gravity is lower, it might still be good with the appropriate amount of bourbon. I've added a cap of bourbon to a glass of IPA before...

Homer has a point. Take a 12 oz pours of the beer and add pre-measured amounts of bourbon to it until you find a threshold level that tastes right. Then, just scale the amount of the bourbon to the rest of the batch. 5 gallons = two cases of 12 oz bottles (approx.) = 48 bottles.

(whatever amount makes one 12 oz beer taste great) x 48 - (number of beers you drank out of the batch) = amount of bourbon to add to the rest of the beer.

this is just the backing i was looking for thank yall. i love me my bourbon so was more or less gonna do it anyways.

Latest posts

Back