What is your Brewing Pet-Peeve?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's a pet peve, I didn't say its wrong. Also its not the equipment that bothers me, its the mentality. Good equipment doesn't make you good.

Agreed. But in the sportbike example, it's always fun to find the sorts of people who bought the GSXR over the R1 because it had 6 more rwhp, and then dust them on the track with an SV650. At least, it was a lot of fun to do that before I highsided my SV650 :eek:

bothers me when brewers forget to take hydrometer readings

oh... its a fermentor not a fermenter!!!

bwarbiany said:
Agreed. But in the sportbike example, it's always fun to find the sorts of people who bought the GSXR over the R1 because it had 6 more rwhp, and then dust them on the track with an SV650. At least, it was a lot of fun to do that before I highsided my SV650 :eek:

Also when it comes to racing, I would say the better racer is the one who has the most faith in their front tire.

I suppose this applies to most forums I visit (I am a software developer and visit lots of programming sites), but I hate when someone asks a question and struggles through something while lots of people offer advice, then finishes the thread with "I figured it out" or something to that degree. Doesn't help anybody else and wasted my time reading through 30 posts to find out that you figured it out but am not going to tell me the solution you came up with.

also, not having the breadcrumb on the bottom of the page (for this site) and having to scroll all the way back up to the top to click on the Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Discussion link. Maybe it is a configuration thing on my part....

also, not having the breadcrumb on the bottom of the page (for this site) and having to scroll all the way back up to the top to click on the Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Discussion link. Maybe it is a configuration thing on my part....

mmmmm.....bread

When someone whines about extract beers not attenuating because they won't or refuse (some sort of purity thing) to put corn sugar or some other simple sugar in the malt bill.

It literally fixes extract based attenuation issues and it still seems to be perceived as not the norm.

Also, when people jam ipa malt bills with crystal malts. Man alive I hate caramel flavored IPA's... Which also brings this rant full circle, as the first part often is the effect of the 2nd part also.

hopsalot said:
bothers me when brewers forget to take hydrometer readings

oh... its a fermentor not a fermenter!!!

Man, you learn something new everyday.

I'd say my biggest complaint is people who talk about 'being a professional brewer' and how it's impossible to go pro because they failed.

Side note: Then said 'pro brewer' enters 3 beers into a local competition of only 14 entries and STILL scores roughly 25% lower on every entry than my single 1st place entry :mug:. I like to think that if I'm smart enough and work hard enough I will be successful. I've met more than one 'pro-brewer' who knows very little about water chemistry, ingredients, style guidelines, electrical knowhow in regards to control panels, yeast management, sanitation, and brewing calculations in general.

Crystal malts. Nothing wrong with them, of course, but there's some of it in pretty much all homebrew recipes out there. No, you don't need it for head retention.

I'd say my biggest complaint is people who talk about 'being a professional brewer' and how it's impossible to go pro because they failed.

Side note: Then said 'pro brewer' enters 3 beers into a local competition of only 14 entries and STILL scores roughly 25% lower on every entry than my single 1st place entry :mug:. I like to think that if I'm smart enough and work hard enough I will be successful. I've met more than one 'pro-brewer' who knows very little about water chemistry, ingredients, style guidelines, electrical knowhow in regards to control panels, yeast management, sanitation, and brewing calculations in general.

I've known both of those kinds of folks, and have worked with the later. Sometimes these are guys that just got lucky getting into a job, sometimes they have worked hard for it, but either way they are usually doing something by rote, generally because they were taught that one way and never learned or cared to learn anything else.

I have also known and worked with pros who had all the knowledge you mention, worked for several companies in different situations and capacities and didn't have the artistic knack or the nerve to step outside the box. They usually make decent to pretty good beers that are on the uninspiring side.

I, for my part, would never tell someone they "won't make it". Constructive criticism is good, busting someone's rose colored glasses so they can see the real world is good (harsh lessons, but needed)... warning against pitfalls, saying this is going to be tough, showing how the numbers work and how tight it can be, etc. is doing someone a favor... saying 'you will fail' is inappropriate if for no other reason than there are no absolutes. If someone has the drive, goes in with open eyes, etc. I'll have their back! :mug:

I don't like when 'experienced' brewers go to answer questions and have an obvious bothered, irritated and arrogant tone. Why bother answering if you are going to be snotty about it?

After reading all 10 pages of posts I think we should petition to change the thread title to: "What do you hate about new brewers?"

People that rack to a brite tank so that they can 'free up a primary/fermenter'... Get more fermenters already. If you don't have enough to brew as often as you like, with leaving the batch in primary for the entire time, then you don't have enough fermenters.

People that think the only options for fermenters is either a bucket or carboy.

People that think stainless steel fermenters are only available as conicals. Sanke kegs are easily adapted for fermenting. You have more than a few options too.

People that don't understand how yeast impacts the actual beer.

People that post up a recipe for an English/UK style brew that uses all US (or US and Canada) ingredients. It's not an ESB just because you want it to be. If you're not using the grains, hops, and yeast from the UK then it's NOT an ESB/English pale ale.

People that think you need to brew IPA's with over 100 IBU before they can be considered an IPA.

People that post via phones/tablets/etc and don't bother to review the post (either before or after hitting the submit button) and have tons of errors all over it. Short sentences, improper caps, incorrect spellings, or words that were 'auto corrected' into something completely wrong... I've hit the 'edit' button more than a few times to fix an incorrect spelling when posting via my phone, or tablet... It's not that difficult people.

That's all I've got [for now]...

Golddiggie said:
People that rack to a brite tank so that they can 'free up a primary/fermenter'... Get more fermenters already. If you don't have enough to brew as often as you like, with leaving the batch in primary for the entire time, then you don't have enough fermenters.

People that think the only options for fermenters is either a bucket or carboy.

People that think stainless steel fermenters are only available as conicals. Sanke kegs are easily adapted for fermenting. You have more than a few options too.

People that don't understand how yeast impacts the actual beer.

People that post up a recipe for an English/UK style brew that uses all US (or US and Canada) ingredients. It's not an ESB just because you want it to be. If you're not using the grains, hops, and yeast from the UK then it's NOT an ESB/English pale ale.

People that think you need to brew IPA's with over 100 IBU before they can be considered an IPA.

People that post via phones/tablets/etc and don't bother to review the post (either before or after hitting the submit button) and have tons of errors all over it. Short sentences, improper caps, incorrect spellings, or words that were 'auto corrected' into something completely wrong... I've hit the 'edit' button more than a few times to fix an incorrect spelling when posting via my phone, or tablet... It's not that difficult people.

That's all I've got [for now]...

Main Entry: fer·men·ter
Pronunciation: \(ˌ)fər-ˈmen-tər\
Function: noun
Date: 1918
1 : an organism that causes fermentation
2or fer·men·tor : an apparatus for carrying out fermentation

You're using fermenter and fermenter incorrectly (please see previous post on this thread). Just thought it was funny you went on a rant about the exact same thing you're guilty of.

This definition is from Merrian/Websters.

Sorry if there are errors in this post, I'm using an IPhone...

I would have to disagree with this, while you could easily argue that such a beer not be described as an "ENGLISH Pale Ale", there's nothing wrong with calling a beer brewed with all American grown ingredients an Extra Special Bitter. Let's say someone made an ESB with domestic pale or pale ale malt, C40, Tomahawk and Willamette hops and ale yeast of your choice. The beer is amber in color, 13.5P, 40IBUs, has some degree of ale yeast characteristics... it's an ESB... *shrug*

You're using fermenter and fermenter incorrectly (please see previous post on this thread). Just thought it was funny you went on a rant about the exact same thing you're guilty of.

ok... Rimmer... :eek:

I hate the fact the wort is pronounced wert, I frankly refuse to pronounce it that way. If it's supposed to be pronounced that way, spell it that way. It will be a cold day in hell when I say "wert", I don't even like spelling it:mad:
You asked, I answered!
Came back to edit:
Trub, there's another one, troob? I think not! Trub is perfectly fine, thank you, if you HAVE to say wert, and troob, I'm going to give you some sh*t, I'm going to say, oh, you mean wort, right? Or, don't you mean Trub?
Ya with me on this?:mug:

I understand not calling sparkling wine Champagne unless it was made in the Champagne region of France, or not calling whiskey Scotch unless it was made in Scotland, or even the Kolsch style for beer. But, are Extra Special Bitters and English Pales the same? I thought it was much more of a flavor issue not an ingredient, or location dilemma. I guess it's all a matter of people agreeing to define certain terms one way and not the other.

I hate the fact the wort is pronounced wert ...
Trub, there's another one, troob? I think not! ...
Ya with me on this?

I'm torn on this one! I tend to say "wert" or "wort" almost interchangeably and rarely "troob." I know it's not an English native word, so I understand all arguments for saying "wert" and "troob," but is feels a little weird. That said, I don't have any sympathy for people to say "tortila" instead of "torteeya." I hate those people. Thus my conundrum.

Hmm...........looks like all the people issues have been covered. How about the color of this forum and font?

Maybe I'm bad at reading dictionary definitions, but doesn't that say that either "fermenter" or "fermentor" is accepted? Isn't that what the "or" is there for?

Maybe I'm bad at reading dictionary definitions, but doesn't that say that either "fermenter" or "fermentor" is accepted? Isn't that what the "or" is there for?

Or is denoting definition 2 uses a different word. TheFreeDictionary.com uses also to denote the same thing.
fer·ment·er (fr-mntr)
n.
1. An organism that causes fermentation.
2. also fer·men·tor An apparatus that maintains optimal conditions for the growth of microorganisms, used in large-scale fermentation and in the commercial production of antibiotics and hormones.

:)

I hate the fact the wort is pronounced wert, I frankly refuse to pronounce it that way. If it's supposed to be pronounced that way, spell it that way. It will be a cold day in hell when I say "wert", I don't even like spelling it:mad:
You asked, I answered!
Came back to edit:
Trub, there's another one, troob? I think not! Trub is perfectly fine, thank you, if you HAVE to say wert, and troob, I'm going to give you some sh*t, I'm going to say, oh, you mean wort, right? Or, don't you mean Trub?

Why is the pronunciation of "wort" any different than the pronunciation of "word"? I'm fine saying "wert". I'm totally with you on "trub" though. Troob?!?!?!? That just ludicrous.

Why is the pronunciation of "wort" any different than the pronunciation of "word"? I'm fine saying "wert". I'm totally with you on "trub" though. Troob?!?!?!? That just ludicrous.

Trüb is the German word for the French word lees: insoluble precipitate that results from protein coagulation and simpler nitrogenous constituents that interact with carbohydrates and polyphenols which is undesirable in certain steps of the process when fermenting beverages. English has no native word for this slag at the bottom, and since we're talking about beer and not wine it's more fun to sprechen in der deutschen.

i hate brewing books that use the words decoction maching and infusion and all that other shat.... explain what it is and explain how to do it.... caant figure it out from how to brew and the joy of brewing....

I'm a pretty laid back guy and have little to no problems with others ... except the customer who comes into the LHBS and is upset that they are out of something (anything). And will not take substitutes because of some super recipe or buying at the last minute.

That is it. Otherwise, I love everything about homebrewing and the people who homebrew.

You asked, I answered!
Came back to edit:

:cross: That was Awesome!!!

You asked, I answered!
Came back to edit:

i take similar issue with the words "work" and "putrid". now that i just typed that -you can add "word" to the list. lousy thin lipped germans.

a lot of older texts have it spelled trube. it seems odd that english speaking people would care about pronunciation when the language is riddled with inconsistency and anomaly, in regards to spelling, pronounciation, etc. That being said - i have never ever heard anyone say "tortila". Those people are the worse than hitler.

Everyone saying the word is "fermentor," go take it up with every brew supply store, John Palmer, and Jamil Zainasheff. Until they all align themselves with a vague online dictionary entry I'll continue to write "fermenter."

That being said - i have never ever heard anyone say "tortila". Those people are the worse than hitler.

I live in Southern California and I've heard people say that. I usually ask them how it is they've never heard someone pronounce it.

The conversation goes something like this:

There's something wrong with this beer. What can I do to fix it?

You have acetaldehyde and isoamyl acetate -- green apple and banana. That means you fermented too warm. If you ferment in the mid-upper 60's you won't get those off flavors.

But I don't have a fridge to ferment in.

Make a water bath. It's easy. You can use ice, or sometimes even a wet T-shirt is enough if you keep it moist.

That's too much work. I'm lazy.

<< sound of me slapping my forehead >>

Everyone saying the word is "fermentor," go take it up with every brew supply store, John Palmer, and Jamil Zainasheff. Until they all align themselves with a vague online dictionary entry I'll continue to write "fermenter."

Yeast: The Practical Guide to Beer Fermentation
Jamil Zainasheff, Chris White

Defines this definition.

Back