First Time Kegger -

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sublime8365

Reaction score
Ok, so I'm shopping around for my first kegging system on kegconnection.com

I'm considering:

2 keg pin lock system for $180 (http://stores.kegconnection.com/Detail.bok?no=431)
2 keg ball lock system for $200 (http://stores.kegconnection.com/Detail.bok?no=326)
2 keg ball lock system with dual body regulator for $220 (http://stores.kegconnection.com/Detail.bok?no=324)

My question is, why the $20 difference between the pin and ball systems and why the $20 difference for the dual body regulator?

I've read up on pin and ball systems a bit and opinions seem to be split, so why the difference? Midwest has the dual body regulator system for $200 (which is the same price as their dual guage system with the manifold). What advantages would a dual body regulator give me? Initially I plan on starting with 2 kegs but hopefully modifying a fridge that will fit up to 4, so would either of these regulators be better for future upgrades? I'm very new to kegging and new to brewing in general so any help or guidance here is appreciated.

Can't speak for the regulator but there really isn't much difference between the ball lock and pin lock. I think ball locks are less common so they are priced higher, though I could be wrong about that.

The only real, or important difference, is dimensions. Pin lock is shorter and fatter, ball locks are taller and skinnier. If that doesn't matter I'd personally recommend pin locks. You can always convert pin locks to ball locks. However, like in my homemade kegerator, two pin locks don't fit in there but I can fit two ball locks. I have two pin locks (converted to ball locks) and two ball locks. I can fit one pin and one ball lock, or two ball locks. So for me, ball locks fit my fridge better.

Sublime8365,

I was asking myself the same questions 2 weeks ago :)

From what I've read on HBT, the main differences between pin-lock and ball lock are:
* with pin-lock, you cannot be confused between the gas line and the beer out line, as the connector are different.
* ball-lock are easier to find (but it sounds like it is not a problem when you buy from an online retailer)
* as cincybrewer mentioned, the size is different (ball-lock are thinner and taller).

Now for the regulator, a dual body allows you to have 2 different pressures. This can be useful to force carbonate a beer while you have the other on tap, and have different serving pressures.

In the end, I got the ball-lock ones for the size aspect as I want to use a tiny freezer chest with a collar. I should be able to fit 3, maybe 4 kegs in a 5 cu feet freezer.
I also got the taprite regulator (this correspond to "premium kit" on kegconnection.com), dual body. Taprite reg does not require using a screw driver, so it should be easier to tune it in my tiny freezer where space will be limited.

Hope that helps.

If you manage to fit 4-5 kegs in a 5 ft chest freezer, please post pics.

If you manage to fit 4-5 kegs in a 5 ft chest freezer, please post pics.

According to this post (https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/sizing-your-chest-freezer-corny-kegs-75449/), it is possible to have 3 kegs + CO2 inside the holiday 5cu ft freezer. This is the setup I will go for, but I will also add a collar to be able to attach the faucets. it might be tight, but I wonder if a 4th keg would be able to fit in there. I will see that in a couple of weeks when I get all the parts and the freezer.

Note that later posts have mentioned that the early design of the holiday 5cf fridge had one corner as the compressor. Later designs have it as a single solid rectangle taking up half that space, meaning that to fit 3 or 4, you would have to add a collar.

I'm trying to figure out the same thing at the moment and I don't really mind a collar since I plan on eventual taps and keeping the tank outside the fridge.

Note that later posts have mentioned that the early design of the holiday 5cf fridge had one corner as the compressor. Later designs have it as a single solid rectangle taking up half that space, meaning that to fit 3 or 4, you would have to add a collar.

I'm trying to figure out the same thing at the moment and I don't really mind a collar since I plan on eventual taps and keeping the tank outside the fridge.

Yes I saw that at the store. It is not really a problem for me as I need to add a collar for the faucets anyway. The only reason I am not sure I will be able to fit the 4 kegs in there is that everything all together might not fit (kegs + CO2 + lines). Keeping the tank outside is not an option. I want everything in the freezer so that it looks clean, even in a living room.

I actually just received this kit on Monday and have my kegerator up now.

http://stores.kegconnection.com/Detail.bok?no=430

I bought the pin lock only because I am on a very tight budget at the moment and any bit I save helps.
As others have said the ball lock are skinner and taller, and the pin locks are shorter and stubbier. Other differences include no pressure relief valve on the pin lock. Well there is one but it is not manually operated like on the ball lock. Where you can just lift a pin and relieve the pressure in the tank. The pin lock has a little tool that comes with the keg that allows you to relieve the pressure via the gas in connector, or you could just push in the gas in valve with a screw driver.

Also the ball lock kegs have quick disconnects that pop on and off. The pin lock have quick disconnects that also pop on but you need to put it on the tank and twist right. Very simple.

I wasn’t sure what to expect but got the hang of it real quick, I think I might just say with the pin lock kegs they are super simple to use as well.

Hope this helped some.

Back