Using the same vial of lager yeast again

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CoopSpark

Reaction score
I'm still at the one-gallon-at-a-time stage, but want to try a German lager so I bought a vial of lager yeast meant for a 5-gallon brewing. Can I take out around 1/5th and then restore the vial in fridge to use again? (not necessarily 4 more times, but at least one more time). In anticipation, thanks.

Can you? Sure. But I would think twice.

Those vials may say they are for inocculating 5 gallons of wort; but in reality, most brewers make a starter with the vial, so they can pitch a larger amount of yeast. So I would shake it up and pitch half now, and the other half in the next batch. Don't try to skimp more than that.

And yes, you are risking contamination this way.

Splitting between 2 batches won't be a problem at all. The shelf life for those vials is about 4 months, so pay attention to the dates.

A lot of brewers do something very similar, splitting a yeast into 2 starters and using one. The next time they brew, the split that starter into 2 again, and only use one. I have known guys to successfully get 20 5 gallon brews from 1 vial of yeast this way.

Split it into 2 and it will be fine. If you want more beers from it, then re-use the cake.

Latest posts

Back