Make torrified wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scorpionc53

Reaction score
Today I'm shooting to make a cider and my recipe calls for torrified wheat. 4 of the 4 Hbs around me don't have anything in stock. I found a link on how to torrify it with a popcorn maker, but I don't have one. I'm only supposed to use an ounce of torrified wheat. Does anyone know how I can make it or a measurement of a good substitute? Really want to brew today.

Flaked will work well. If you're insistent on torrified wheat it can be done in a normal resistance oven. Torrify means 'to toast'. 365F preheated over at 10 minutes is about average with most Spring wheats. Use a parchment-lined baking sheet and torrify 1 lb at a time for even distribution of heat. No more, no less. You're not after any darkening of the wheat so watch it carefully. You want the endosperm to expand and pop but very little cooking of the exterior. Pre-mill it before using.

Latest posts

Back