Air tool regulator - can this be used?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhino17

Reaction score
Hi all,

I currently have my keg set up with 1 dual guage regulator from the tank, and then branched off to 6 lines inside the fridge to supply pressure to all of the kegs.

Since I usually make ales, all requiring about the same level of carbonation (my preference), this cheap set up works very well for me.

However, I have some friends who have requested a dry stout, and like a good little brewer, I have obliged. But I don't want to serve it at the same pressure.

Do you think an air tool regulator like in the link below could be added in-line to step down the 13 psi to around 5 for my dry stout? I just can't justify purchasing a secondary regulator at this time, and this would be a cheap solution.

http://www.sjdiscounttools.com/mtn6182.html

Any thoughts?

Rhino

I'd definitely research this more, but this sounds like a good, cheap alternative to the expensive dual gauge setups.

Hope it works out for ya.

I think it would be worth trying, but as a secondary only. My main concern is gas volume, an air tool regulator is intended to run at cubic feet per minute rates, but a CO2 setup's requirement is more like pints per hour.

Some air tool regulators will work, but there are basically a valve that just regulate air flow rather than pressure. These inexpensive ones won't work for our purposes. I can't really tell for sure, but from the picture of the one you linked, I don't think it will work. If there isn't constant flow of air, the pressure will build up to be the same on both sides.

I bought 4 of these when they were recently on sale for $4.99. They are the least expensive air tool regulator that will work for pushing beer. I haven't used them yet, because I need new gauges (see note below).

Another thing to keep in mind about any air tool regulator. You will need to get a new gauge for it. The ones that come with them generally go up to 150-200 psi. They don't have the resolution to work in the area (generally under 15psi) that we want.

I have found some good deals for gauges on ebay. I should be able to get them for a little less than $5 each.

-S

Back