Clogging BlowOff Tube = HELP!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hbhudy

Reaction score
I am brewing a stout (starting about 24hrs ago) and the blowoff tube (5/16ID for a true brew bucket) is getting clogged already. Should I be concerned about the pale lid blowing off? The tube is clogging, but the pressure is still clearing the line (at this point). My major concern is that the lid is bowing up very drastically, but thankfully the pressure is currently able to clear the tube (fairly violently and impressively).

Do you think I should replace the tube or just wait it out?

usually it gets full of junk but it usually wont clog completely...5/16 is kinda small...you could change it out for a 3/4 inch...that should be good. Also, you wont really affect the brew if you change the tube...the yeast have already taken a population foothold of the beer, so theres no worry for contamination...just sanitize and change the tube if youre worried. it will most likely be fine.
-Jefe-

I dont have any advice on this...but I defintely think that you should post pics!

Remember, without pics...it didnt happen :)

If the lid is bowing then pressure is not fully being released. I'd open th lid, let it release, and put in a larger blowoff tube. Or at least clean and sanitize the one you have.

Thanks guys.. The issue seems to have passed..

Does anyone know the largest size tube that can fit into a predrilled true brew pale lid?

Also I am hoping to post the image as soon as I can.. The video is a riot..:)

Back