Mash Paddle vs Spoon

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pksmitty

Reaction score
Is there an advantage to using a mash paddle instead of a spoon? Would one work better for stirring the mash or boiling wort?

I realize there's a "cool factor" involved, and I'm certainly not against that, I just want to know if I should make a paddle or not.

I finally bought a metal mash paddle and I am very very happy with it. I had been using a plastic spoon for the longest time and it always bent in the hot mash. The holes in the paddles really make a big difference in the time it takes to thoroughly and completely mix the dough balls out of the mash.

The bride asked me what I want for Christmas last night, and I said, "A custom mash paddle." She told me she thought my plastic wort paddle was good enough. Obviously we have an opportunity for some education.

Anything wood is a big no-no for me, as should be for anyone. Cracks in wood have more bacteria in them than anything I can think of and wood has a lot of cracks. Sure, they boil off but I'd think all that bacteria can't be good in the long run.

I finally bought a metal mash paddle and I am very very happy with it. I had been using a plastic spoon for the longest time and it always bent in the hot mash. The holes in the paddles really make a big difference in the time it takes to thoroughly and completely mix the dough balls out of the mash.

How big of batches are you guys making that you have that big of dough balls?

On my usual 12 lbs of grain or so, theres absolutely nothing even approaching a dough ball. I use on of those 24" steel spoons.

I could see if I was mashing in a 55g drum, needing a paddle.

How big of batches are you guys making that you have that big of dough balls?

On my usual 12 lbs of grain or so, theres absolutely nothing even approaching a dough ball. I use on of those 24" steel spoons.

I could see if I was mashing in a 55g drum, needing a paddle.

My batches range from about 12 pounds up to 30+ pounds.

So for those who use paddles, are you only using them in the mash? I assume metal spoons are easier to sanitize for stirring the wort, especially as it cools?

So for those who use paddles, are you only using them in the mash? I assume metal spoons are easier to sanitize for stirring the wort, especially as it cools?

I use it mainly for the mash. I also use it to stir the boil occasionally, but not cooling wort.

Anything wood is a big no-no for me, as should be for anyone. Cracks in wood have more bacteria in them than anything I can think of and wood has a lot of cracks. Sure, they boil off but I'd think all that bacteria can't be good in the long run.

Killed bacteria will have no effect on anything.

I have both and have yet to use the mash paddle mine is like this one I could use for oar. I picked it up at a flea market think it was less than 8$ thats the only reason I bought it.

s-s paddle2.jpg

Latest posts

Back