Bulk Grain Price

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Which is why a $35 refractometer will cost you how much from a LHBS? Try $80 here! Comes with a free tube of lube

Maybe I will have a grain sale next year during the Great Grain Sale at our LHBS.

Buy a bunch of sacks of grain, sell it with a 20% markup for my time. So, about $.73 to $.85 per pound for all base malts. I wont be selling Briess either :D

I could blanket Indy in grain... problem is, most people arent educated enough to know they are getting hosed.

Which is why a $35 refractometer will cost you how much from a LHBS? Try $80 here! Comes with a free tube of lube

Ask the LHBS how much they're paying for them, and I'm sure they'll tell you its in the $40-50 range. They're ridiculous.

We had a group buy on one of the marine boards for refractometers, and I think the store got them for like $8 a piece buying directly from the manufacturer. Yeah, its a little more work to operate like that, but you'll end up with lower overhead and higher profit margins, and happier customers.

I am deeply involved in another business that operates like it did 40 years ago... isnt going so well for most. But, there are some that are different, who are thriving, because they dont roll with the paradigms

The malting co-op that does North Counrty(east coast) Midcountry(Midwest) canada(Vancouver), Great Western(West) all carry the same malts afaik. The prices should be the same if not very similar. There's facilities in Los Angeles and Union City, CA if that helps. You can go and pick up anywhere from 1 to 1million sacks, but not less than 1 25kg sack.

They can also ship up to a 2000lb palate for about $60 in state... er that's what the guy I talked to said when I went and picked everything up.

Does this co-op have a name?

I am deeply involved in another business that operates like it did 40 years ago... isnt going so well for most. But, there are some that are different, who are thriving, because they dont roll with the paradigms

:rolleyes::D

yeah, the country malt group. North country, mid country, great western, canadian.

http://countrymaltgroup.com/

I see nothing on their page about having warehouses in California. I'm not too far from Union City and would love to be able to pick up 50-55# sacks of grain locally for a good price (right now, I drive a long distance to do so).

Thanks. For some reason I couldn't find that (sometimes I suck at finding web stuff).

I had no idea they were there. Now the question is whether or not they will deal with a homebrewer a couple of sacks at at time. A quick e-mail is in order...

They should... they do here. You can buy one sack and still get that pricing. Here they actually have a Homebrewing Catalogue

Thanks. For some reason I couldn't find that (sometimes I suck at finding web stuff).

I had no idea they were there. Now the question is whether or not they will deal with a homebrewer a couple of sacks at at time. A quick e-mail is in order...

yeah they should. And yeah here they have homebrew catalog with stuff like star san in it. I think you can order like a 5 gal bucket of the stuff.

yeah they should. And yeah here they have homebrew catalog with stuff like star san in it. I think you can order like a 5 gal bucket of the stuff.

So much for that idea...

I just got an e-mail back from them; the answer is "No," they will NOT sell to individuals out of their Union City, CA location.

So much for that idea...

I just got an e-mail back from them; the answer is "No," they will NOT sell to individuals out of their Union City, CA location.

That sucks, I feel lucky now

So much for that idea...

Wow that sucks. You might consider trying the other location in CA, or putting together a group order. Stuff gets really cheap at 2000+lbs.

The malting co-op that does North Counrty(east coast) Midcountry(Midwest) canada(Vancouver), Great Western(West) all carry the same malts afaik. The prices should be the same if not very similar. There's facilities in Los Angeles and Union City, CA if that helps. You can go and pick up anywhere from 1 to 1million sacks, but not less than 1 25kg sack.

In fact people might like to know they are in
Champlain, NY,
Toronto, ON,
Thunder Bay, ON,
Motreal, QC,
Atlanta, GA,
Chicago, IL,
New Orleans, LA,
Denver, CO,
Pocatello, ID,
Calgary, AB,
Niobe, AB,
Vancouver, BC,
Vancouver, WA,
Union City, CA,
Los Angeles, CA

They can also ship up to a 2000lb palate for about $60 in state... er that's what the guy I talked to said when I went and picked everything up.

FYI They do not sell to individuals in Denver, only microbreweries. I just called them. Lame!!

Wow that sucks. You might consider trying the other location in CA, or putting together a group order. Stuff gets really cheap at 2000+lbs.

I do have another source that will sell single-bag quantities, but it's a couple hours of driving away. I bought three 25kg sacks a few months back, and will have to do it again in another couple months.

I do have another source that will sell single-bag quantities, but it's a couple hours of driving away. I bought three 25kg sacks a few months back, and will have to do it again in another couple months.

i would really like to know where that is if you don't mind sharing the info

i would really like to know where that is if you don't mind sharing the info

Absolutely...

Certified Foods, Inc.
41970 East Main Street
Woodland CA 95776

Their web site has very little information, and they do change what they carry from time-to-time. You'll have to e-mail them or call them and ask for their price sheets.

I bought 55# sacks of Fawcett Maris Otter, Fawcett Golden Promise, and Dingemans Pilsen malt on my last trip.

Good luck...

I'll give them(chicago) a call Monday and see what's up about not selling to homebrewers out of their other locations.

Also they do ship palettes. He told me, within about a state is usually under $60 for a pallet(2000lbs).

Also they do ship palates. He told me, within about a state is usually under $60 for a palate(2000lbs).
You know, sometimes I just don't like a beer that others think is great. Take Arrogant Bastard, for example.

I really could use a new palate.

250px-06-06-06palataltori.jpg

I contacted Great Western Malting in the Denver, CO area & got the price sheet. I was placing an order & that is when I hit the wall & they will not sale to individuals. They said they might by the beginning of this year. Has anybody purchased from them in Denver? Or has anybody purchased from others in the Denver area?

$32 for 50lbs of Great Western 2-row at Morebeer

I only get it when I drive by one as it is like $17 to ship it.

That's where I get mine too. I always brew two batches when I brew so I use all the grain. I only live 15 mile from the Morebeer in Concord.:)

So the whole pallet of 2000 pounds of grain was shipped to you for 90 bucks.

I have heard Mid Country quoted as saying that if you ship within a state of them... you are looking at $60 ish for a pallet. $90 sounds reasonable to MI

I have heard Mid Country quoted as saying that if you ship within a state of them... you are looking at $60 ish for a pallet. $90 sounds reasonable to MI

Will they mix types of grain on the pallet?

Hell, I may buy the whole pallet, keep what I want, and sell the rest.

Will they mix types of grain on the pallet?

Hell, I may buy the whole pallet, keep what I want, and sell the rest.

Of course they will... anything you want.

I am thinking of buying a bunch of malt next year (already stocked) and picking it up and selling it to the Indy guys I know at cost. I dont care to make $$, but I do care to help people out when I can.

Of course they will... anything you want.

I am thinking of buying a bunch of malt next year (already stocked) and picking it up and selling it to the Indy guys I know at cost. I dont care to make $$, but I do care to help people out when I can.

It almost seems too good to be true to me. Their flat rate pallet program document on their site states up to 42 bags of grain for 90 bucks.

Latest posts

Back