priming Q.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kendo2gz

Reaction score
when priming it says to boil the sugar till fully dissolved. what i need to know is i have 6 gallons of beer how much sugar do i use and how much water do i boil it in the book olny talks about 5 gallon batches any replies are welcome even u revvy ur tough but u know what ur talkin about

3/4 cup for 5 gallon batches. I think that most people put 5 Gallons in a 6 G fermenter, to give headspace. That said, I think you could calculate the extra gallon of wort from the ration given.

3/4 cup equals 12 TBsp, so 12 TBsp divided by 5 gallons, equals 2.4 TBsp per gallon. so you need to add 2.4 TBsp to the 3/4 cup. Or round up to 2 1/2 TBsp and call it good.

A good rule is 3/4 cup for 5 gallons. So you have to do a simple proportion

.75 x
____ = _____ Which comes out to 9/10 of a cup.

5 6

One cup is approximately 8 oz, so I would say about 7.25 ounces or a full cup of sugar and take some off of the top.

Someone feel free to give a more precise answer.

Or you can do it the old school way of putting 1/2 teaspoon of corn sugar in each 12oz bottle (1 teaspoon if you use 22oz bottles) before you fill it with beer. I've never used this method but from everything i have heard there were more bottle bombs back in those days.

Or you can do it the old school way of putting 1/2 teaspoon of corn sugar in each 12oz bottle (1 teaspoon if you use 22oz bottles) before you fill it with beer. I've never used this method but from everything i have heard there were more bottle bombs back in those days.

This is true, and the method that I used once or twice when I first started, but it's not ideal. For instance, there can be a bit of variability between bottles due to the process of trying to pour that little bit of sugar in.

Also, I found that the sugar would make the beer foam up a bit and make it harder to fill to the proper height. If I were to do per-bottle priming again, I'd buy carb tablets and make it easy on me.

It's better to prime by weight than by volume - my first couple of batches (before I had a decent scale) were primed with 3/4 cup and ended up substantially underprimed. When I got my scale I weighed 3/4 cup of dextrose and it was closer to 4 ounces than 5 ounces.

1 ounce dextrose per gallon of beer is the standard, you can tweak it up or down based on style and preference.

Latest posts

Back