BJCP Style Classifications help?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

violins

Reaction score
I've got a couple of beers that I'm unsure what categories they would be in.
One is a fairly mild red wit beer.
The other is a darker, slightly stronger and hoppier rye beer similar to Tarrapin Rye.
Ideas?

In order to help, we'd need all of the data listed in the standard style guidelines. (Color, IBU's etc...) Probably best to post the recipes in the thread.

I've got a couple of beers that I'm unsure what categories they would be in.
One is a fairly mild red wit beer.
The other is a darker, slightly stronger and hoppier rye beer similar to Tarrapin Rye.
Ideas?

Hard to do without more info (OG/FG, grain bill, hops, yeast) and unless you're entering a contest it doesn't really matter, but I'd guess that the Wit would probably be either 16A. Witbier or 23. Specialty and the rye is either 6D. American Wheat or Rye or 23. Specialty.

For the rye beer, it is very much like Terrapin Rye with a few differences noted below. What catagory would that fit into? Mine turned out a little darker with a little more hoppiness.
I think it is too dark for a 6D. I'm guessing that 23 specialty is a catch-all for anything that is different, so that would work. I was wondering if 15D would be accurate, but I'm not familliar with any of the examples. The description is the closest that I can come up with: http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/style15.html#1d
OG 1.069 FG 1.02 (6.4% ABV)
IBU estimate: 58 (a little high for the style?)
color: 16.6? (reddish, brown, like a cloady Killians maybe?)
I used 2 lbs or flaked rye with a mix of other grains (no wheat) and 3 oz pearle plus 2 oz Tettnang hops (no dry hop), Nottingham yeast.
Does that help?

Back