Commercial bottle washing at home

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

libertyman

Reaction score
So Im thinking about making a case that is capable of closing and still leting water in. With this, I could then take my bottles from sanitizing to rinsing 24 at a time. I dont have a dishwasher (I dont have room) and I dont have a keg system (room or money) so I figure massive bottle washing would be neet. Im thinking some type of mesh material over a crate that is strong enough to withstand 24 bottles submerging and also draining. It would also be an instant drying rack. Has anyone done this? If I am able to make one I will of course post pictures.

I think I've seen threads on automating the process a bit, but to me everything seems more convoluted and troublesome than my current system. With new bottles purchased empty, I use a water jet adapter and do a thorough spraying with hot water. With bottles obtained by myself via drinking beer, I rinse immediately after use and then will sometimes use the jet prior to first use with homebrew.

Once in my "rotation" I have a process I follow right after emptying the bottle: 1) pour out last little bit of beer/trub from the bottle; 2) fill up with hot water and dump out, repeat; 3) fill up about 1/4th full, cap with thumb, and shake vigorously; 4) fill up one last time and dump; 5) sit upside down on counter to drain; 6) after draining (usually the next day), put a "bottle condom" (fold-top sandwich bag) on it and store in the case.

Takes an extra minute to do the above. When I'm ready to bottle, I just remove the bottle condom and sanitize.

However, if you do make your cleaning rack, do post pictures. I'm always open to new ideas.

Rick

If you give a good rinse immediatly after use, then put on an dishrack to dry upside down. Then when you are ready to use them simply sanitize. No washing.

I did that for years before I got the keg set-up.

I've toyed with a similiar idea myself based on my old freenlance photography days.

Take a sealable waterproof container, like a rubbermade bin. Put a nipple on the bottom and get one of those old time "slip over your sink and wash your hair hose sprayers"...you can get them at the dollar store. Cut off the sprayer attachement from the end and attach to the nipple at the bottom.

Put another nipple and out hose at the top and put a hose clamp on it. Put some sort of bottle rack in there...Put oxyclean in it and fill with bottles. Seal it.

Run hot water into til it starts to come out the top. Close the top hose with the hose clamp and turn water off. Let the bottles fizz with the oxyclean for awhile, then open the hose clamp and turn on cold water to drain til it all runs clear...

Back