Heating pad?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

telebrewer

Reaction score
How many of you use heating pads to help brew. This cooler days make my batches take twice as long to get the right ph.

I just bought one to try it out.

Thanks for any input.

How many of you use heating pads to help brew. This cooler days make my batches take twice as long to get the right ph.

I just bought one to try it out.

Thanks for any input.

I generally use one. It has two heat settings. I use the lower setting and it keeps it around 78°F even if I run it 24/7. It's an older pad. All the newer ones that I've seen have an auto shut off after a couple of hours that wouldn't work well to keep the temperature even. My old pad seems to work OK, but lately I've been wondering if I can do better.

I'm thinking I could use my DIY fermwrap for kombucha, but I'd have to rig up another temp controller. (Not a big deal, just lazy, I guess)

Edit: I just saw your other post. A reptile heating pad should work great. My DIY fermwrap is the same thing, just controlled with a STC-1000 temp controller.

I use a reptile heating pad on a dimmer type switch. Careful heating from bottom or top; they could un-balance your brew by promoting yeast over bacteria and vice versa

Hi All,

First post :)

Do you put the probe from the thermostat into the kombucha inside the container?

Hi All,

First post :)

Do you put the probe from the thermostat into the kombucha inside the container?

That's how I do my beer, but I'm not sure how I'm going to do the kombucha. Probably I will do it the same way. I'm just not sure now I will secure a thermowell.

Back