Chunky belgian yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lou2row

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Went to make up a starter with a white labs belgian yeast. Shook it up some, and went to pour. A dribble comes out, then nothing. Shake it a little more and a big chunk plops out of the tube! The tube was still a little cold from the fridge, but had been out for a couple hours. The starter is going along slowly; I am going to push back my golden belgian brew day a day or two to make sure the starter is going well before using it. Is this normal for this type of yeast?

Also, When this happened, a little yeast stayed in the tube, so I poured a small amount of starter into the tube and stuck it back in the fridge. Will this be okay to keep?

Watched the starter over last couple days. Smells like it fermented, but never got a krausen. Stirbar is in bottom of fermenter, so just swirling it several times a day.
Today all activity seems done, and yeast on bottom is clumpy like wads of caulking. Won't even break back up when shook.

Any opinions? Never seen this before so wondering if I should call brewshop bought from, or email white labs.

I haven't heard of that either. How old is the vial of yeast? I would drop wl a line and see what they think.

Back