First Boil Video...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerme72

Reaction score
Well I got my kit for Christmas (Thanks to the Wife!!!) and was really psyched about brewing my own brew. So I thought I would share this with my new friends here at the HBT forum. Enjoy!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice video. You are pretty cool, calm and collected for a first brew, which impressed me. When do we sample?

Congrats on the first brew, post a follow up as to how it turned out.

:mug:

I sure will. I shot some video of the Bottling that did not turn out all that good, but I may do something with that later. I get to open this on Super Bowl Sunday so I will let you all know!!!

Nice job on the video. I agree, you are pretty calm for doing your first batch.

Are you sure you were supposed to be heating the water to almost a boil with those grains in there? Mashing is usually done between 145-158.

If you're ever interested in sitting in on an all grain session, let me know. I'm in HB and brew about once a month (sometimes double batches on the same day).

As every one else said, well done. I just finnished my first brew session last monday.

JonW, I see you do all grain, I don't know if you've done an extract with specialty grains. With my kit the instructions were to Steep the specialty grains for 20 min or until the temp reached 170.

Did you put your bottling/priming sugar in the boil? When I did extract batches none of them came with corn sugar except for bottling/priming.

As every one else said, well done. I just finnished my first brew session last monday.

JonW, I see you do all grain, I don't know if you've done an extract with specialty grains. With my kit the instructions were to Steep the specialty grains for 20 min or until the temp reached 170.

This was not an all grain batch... you must have missed most of the video :)

This was not an all grain batch... you must have missed most of the video :)
I guess I don't communicate well. :eek:
I know it wasn't. It was an extract kit like the one I did with "special grains" that you sort of make a tea with before adding the extract. JonW was talking about "mashing temps" so I was just relating my recent experience. :mug:

Nice video!
P.S. - next time get your wort for your OG reading prior to pitching in yeast, less risk of contamination.

Yes, I do AG and will readily admit I'm not up to speed on extract or PM processes. However, when he says that he's putting the grain in and waiting for it to get to a boil, that's what I'm questioning. Obviously there's not enough grain there to get much sugar conversion, so the ideal mashing temp isn't critical, but at near boiling, you can bet there will be some tannin extraction going on. :(

Again thanks to all for the tips and comments on the video. I am starting to feel the anticipation of opening that first beer. It is like Christmas morning as a 11 yr old!!! I am working on a label for my beer and I will post it on the forums once it is done.

Deuce - great advice that I will take next time (this weekend when I start my cream ale)

JonW - I will be sure to watch the temps with my specialty grains and not burn them. Thanks!!

Good video. I would recommend taking a gravity reading before you take your initial gravity reading though. You also might want to give the fermenter more of a rocking action than sliding. I LOVE boddington

Back