extreme haze

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gauthierk

Reaction score
Four days ago I brewed a beer and went with my own grains. I'm doing an extract beer and selected my own grains from the brew shop. They milled my grains for me there and I used almost the same kind of cheese cloth that comes in a kit. The only thing is my steeping time ran about five minutes past the average 20 and the temp got to about 180 before I yanked the grain bag out. Could this have contributed to a big time haze in my primary? It almost looks like dirty water. The smell comming out of my air lock is awsome though. A beer thief sample yielded a great flavor with only 4 days of being in the fermenter. Any reason why it's so dirty looking?

If its actively fermenting, the beer will look really cloudy as a result of all the yeast in suspensions as well as all the churing its doing. It will clear up eventually. As they say... relax, don't worry.....

If you're using a secondary, it will clear up quite a bit there. Otherwise, if it's still very cloudy when you would normally bottle, leave it for another week and it should clear up as well.

Latest posts

Back