Air in my Beer?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ApolloBrewing

Reaction score
So I brewed my third batch last night and tragically woke up to the classic case of the exploding air-lock. The cap was blown right off and I guess that means my beer was exposed to some air intake. I don't know how long it was exposed (could not have been more than a few hours) but do you guys think that this type of exposure could be detrimental to the beer??

So I brewed my third batch last night and tragically woke up to the classic case of the exploding air-lock. The cap was blown right off and I guess that means my beer was exposed to some air intake. I don't know how long it was exposed (could not have been more than a few hours) but do you guys think that this type of exposure could be detrimental to the beer??

The air has no way to get in when CO2 is being pushed out. Get yourself a blowoff tube and have a homebrew.

so, i bought a cooper's kit, had to set it on the floor to ferment , opening the lid multiple times to check Og, id that too much air exposure?

if it is still actively fermenting then that means that there is positive pressure forcing co2 out and not really letting air in unless there was a strong fan on or you dropped something in the fermentor. Ive had that happen more times than i can count and they all turnd out fine. Do what pablo said and get a blowoff tube (vinyl tubing at the hardware store i think 1 1/4 diameter)

Back