squash beer ideas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Draygon

Reaction score
So, I'm sitting at work today talking with some of the guys and one says "why don't you make a squash beer, they make pumpkin and squash isn't much different." So that got me thinking, he is right about them being similar.
so id like to put a recipe together that uses squash. I'm thinking a sweeter kind, maybe butternut? Would appreciate any input on other ingreds such as spices, Malts etc... to do this. Trying to not clone a pumpkin beer using squash in the end.

Butternut squash brown ale? Butternut has that chestnutty flavor that might do well in a brown.

Sounds great...maybe a late fall/thanksgiving beer of sorts to follow up that early fall pumpkin ale. Butternut would be a good start...so many malts and hops can be used to compliment that nutty side it might be hard to weed through them but it certainly leaves you with many options. Good luck!

A brown ale could work, I am trying to figure out other types of squash that may work as well in different types of beers. The malts is probably the hardest part once the squash selection is finalized.

Acorn squash. I eat it with brown sugar and butter and it really goes well so I can't see why that flavor wouldn't work in a beer. I agree with the brown ale or perhaps porter.

Back