Question with a Cherry Sour Kriek

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nelso1cb

Reaction score
Brewing a Cherry Sour Kriek and want it to be like cheek puckeringly sour! With that said, I have some critical questions! :confused:

1) YEAST: I pitched the White Labs Belgian Sour Mix WLP655. I wanted to pitch the WLP677 in secondary and let it age for several months. But now after reading several threads, I'm thinking that I should have already pitch it at the beginning. I was just concerned of over pitching at the start. Should I pitch the second vial now?

2) TEMP: I know the temp range for most ales, but I have been hearing that for this style ale it should be fermented much warmer. But at what temperature does it kill the yeast?

3) CHERRIES/OAK CUBES: I was going to add them to the secondary at the start and age them for 6+ months. Is the start on 2nd too soon?

Any help would be appreciated! Cheers! :mug:

1. If you intend for this to be a lambic-based kriek then pitch it all at once. If the grain bill is more of an oud bruin, pitch in secondary.

2. You will be fine at regular ale temps. I let my lambic age at room temperature so during the winter it might be in the mid-upper 60s and during the summer it might get as high as 80.

3. I would add for the last six months of aging. I don't know how long you plan on aging this beer but it definitely needs more than six months total.

Back