Weyerbacher Heresy Imperial Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McMalty

Reaction score
Ok....so i know this brew is aged with oak and i know its an imperial and it's suppposed to taste strong, but i regret buying a 4 pack of this brew.

IMO, this beer is overkill. There's way too much oak. There's a huge alcohol flavor. Those two flavors completely dominate the brew. There is nothing to contrast the flavors, the brew has no complexity. Properly brewed, the malty-ness should complement the high alcohol and the oak and present a nice balance, but it doesn't. The beer isn't finished. It tastes like this: holy crap, oak...oh that's strong....oh, that's it? wth?

I'm sorry to be critical of a brew, especially of a brand that i have a lot of respect for, but i've thought about it for an entire day, and i still feel the same. Now, i'm not gonna "dump it", i'm not one of those guys. I'm just gonna take it out of the fridge and sit it in the corner and let it age for a good 30 years until it becomes drinkable.

To each his own, I personally like it!

maybe i got a bad batch (after all, one of my beers didn't even have a label on it, in fact, the label had been peeled off), who knows, maybe i got the runts of the batch.

I love this beer. heresy and insanity are two of my favorites from weyerbacher

maybe i'll come around to it....my palette just isn't in line with it right now. I like the blithering idiot as is, i don't really want to throw oak into the mix....at least not in the amounts that they use

I meant to write "imperial stout" in the title, it's not a porter, i know.

ok....so i tried it again yesterday, first beer of the day...and i'm gonna have to say that i'm changing my decision on this one. The last bottle i drank definitely was not very good and didn't taste the same as this bottle. It was actually really good.

ok, wow. i aged one of these suckers for 2 months and holy $hit, it tastes completely different. It tastes less like lighter fluid and more like amazing. IK aging changes the taste of a beer, that's obvious, but i didn't think that only 2 months would mellow the oak flavor into candy. My apologies to weyerbacher, next time, just tell me to wait a few

One of my all time favorites actually. Try aging a few bottles for 3 years. Of the beers I have aged, this, the Weyerbacher Quad, and Ommegang Three Philosophers improved the most dynamically. This beer only gets better with age. I will mention that this one does vary somewhat from batch to batch from the brewery. Some are better than others.

Back