How Tall did you say??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old John

Reaction score
I read up and found that Hop vines might be expected to go 18' tall in Indiana.
So I went out & got three 16' 4x4's and some 2x4's.
I reasoned that if I set the 4x4's, 2 1/2' in the ground that'd still give me
13 1/2'..........
So as I was digging the holes, It dawned on me, I could extend that with a
2x4 on top. I cut one of my 8'ers in half and screwed the pieces on top of the 4x4's.That'll give me close to 17'. And if I put the vines out about 4' from the base, maybe a bit more.

With the holes dug, 5' apart, I screwed some left over 6'ers across two 4x4's.
Then I and DSW stood up that rig into the holes.........OOps!! I forgot to put the I-bolts & rope on the top ends.
So we lifted that whole thing out of the holes.......Whew, HEAVY! I let it down, with DSW steadying it.

Got the I-bolts screwed in. Got the ropes on..........Up. we Go, again.
Plumbed it, squared it.....and tamped it in tight.

We did better with the 3rd 4x4. It went up real quick & we didn't forget anything. We put on the i-bolt and the rope. It is much easier to put up
4x4's, one at a time.
We anchored the three 4x4's together, with more 2x4's. It is solid...
No wiggle. I think this Trellis will hold three Hop Vines.......

Is it strong enough, do you think??
It oughta last a few years, hunnh.

Don't think it has nythiong to do with Indiana specifically.

I have read that a hop "poops out" at 30 foot. I think it has to do with the pressure of such a high column and the plants inability to move water that high.

I bought a steel 4x4 post holder with a 24" spike on it. I cemented the spike in the ground and just set my 4x4 post in that and tightened the clamp. Holds it real well so I have 16' of vertical height from one post.

At the top of the post I ran 48" long galvanized pipe through in 2 directions and added a T to each end. This allows me 8 strings.

I then built 4 2x2 boxes and put 2 hop plants in each box that are the same type.

Just to be fancy I added a solar light to the top.

It looks real nice but would look better painted. I got most of the idea from the BYO issue with a write up on something similar.

Linc

Latest posts

Back