How long to carbonate a growler?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jatlrdierk

Reaction score
So I had some hefeweizen leftover on a kegged batch and I put it in a 2-quart growler that I had on hand. I put in the recommended amount of corn sugar and put it away. How long does it take to carbonate that? I'm really thirsty, so don't tell me I need to let it age for 3 months. I just need to know when it's good to pop the top and have some carbonation.

So I had some hefeweizen leftover on a kegged batch and I put it in a 2-quart growler that I had on hand. I put in the recommended amount of corn sugar and put it away. How long does it take to carbonate that? I'm really thirsty, so don't tell me I need to let it age for 3 months. I just need to know when it's good to pop the top and have some carbonation.

I'd give it alt least 4 weeks at 70 degrees. Since it's your only bottle, you don't have a second chance at getting the CO2 right. Better safe than flat.

Be carefull with overcarbing grolwers. I do not think they can handle the pressure of regular bottles. I have had 2 growler bombs back when I used to bottle. Never had a single bottle explode. But two growlers. After the second one I decided to get a kegorator.

They take no longer than any other bottle. It is all relative. I usually open my growler first when the batch is ready to drink - usually at 2 plus weeks.

I do a growler or two out of every batch as well and I make sure they are usually the first to get drank. All in all maybe 15 growlers bottled, all came out ok, none exploxed and the all carbed in about 2 weeks. I have 2 that have been aging now for about 3-4 months and they havent popped yet so I think I am good.

Depends on the temperature they are stored at. If over 70F it should take two weeks, I normally age bottles for 3 weeks and they're fine. Some of my bottles are at slightly colder temps and aren't fully carbs after 3 weeks.

Latest posts

Back