Jet fuel mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MzAnnie

Reaction score
I want to that all of you in advance, for all the tips and hints. First time mead...had my organic figs, some dates and some raisins, and of course the first honey of the spring. Used the standard mead recipe from someone, somewhere on here. Started it the end of June. the first dumb thing I did was, use the hand blender and got a good (bad) slurry going. Strained after the first week, no worries. Second week, it started to smell like the fuel they use in the space shuttle. Second dumb thing I did was, put the lid back on it until the next week. Racked once a week (and gave myself excrutiating headaches) faithfully, until the first of August. By then I was in too deep, thought I could fix it by back sweetening it (3rd dumb thing???)so my next question is...will this ever age out, or did I discover a new, organic fuel source??? Did I mention, it looks like motor oil, also? It also has a very thin layer of lees....still. I feel like I am in 5th grade science, and headed for detention...again. Please help me!!!
PS...Racked it again yesterday, still has lees and just got rid of the headache....

You mean to say...just leave it in the secondary for...how long? The other mead I made at the same time, had none of the nastiness, but I used different ingredients. So, how long before I can anticipate my next 'mead migraine'?

Let's see, I think my first racking is at 3-4 weeks, then 2nd at maybe 3-6 months, then leave it in tertiary until bottling, 12-18 months.

I don't think the lees are as much of a concern as they are with wine.

Cool Ty, thank you so much!!! I really appreciate it. I was not looking forward to opening it next week! Maybe I'll wait until New Year's Day, when I have an existing headache.:)

Back